1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ Quick Shifter Questions....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by onlyjames, May 19, 2009.

1. onlyjames

onlyjames Unregistered User

So, I have my first Quick Shifter...bought it used. I installed it, but its not killing the engine until my foot is completely pressed, and the gear has already changed. It does work, and if I manualy pry the sensor up I can hear the switch click over...but it takes some real pressure to get the switch to connect. Is it suppost to be relatively easy to pull the quick shifter.....because it only makes sense that the engine is killed before the shift actually happens...not at the bottom of the shift!! I like my trans in one piece.

I would appreciate ANY help on this...races this weekend and Id love to get this thing working. Ive tried everything to get the switch to trip before the gear changes, but there is not enough Pull to make the connection.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Sounds like you are testing it in your garage on a stand...

3. onlyjames

Sounds like Im about to learn an embarassing lesson...:rolleyes:

Yes, in the garage, on the stand....

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not reliable.

No load. Try sitting on the bike and holding the rear brake down to load the rear wheel while you shift from second to third. Make sure it's above 4K rpm. I think you'll find that the shifter works fine.

5. onlyjames

Will do.....I'll update this thread tonight....hopefully a good result.

Thanks, James

6. Kaine

Kaine Well-Known Member

Lol. Lesson learned bro.

7. onlyjames

Ha ha, I like to try 100 times, get pissed, and THEN ask how to do it :)

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Haha. :clap:

9. onlyjames

Ok....my embarassment is OVER, my DJ QS is MESSED up.....so no lesson here. No I have to track down the guy who sold me this thing....from this board. I'll keep everyone updated as to how this guy handles selling a bad QS.

Thanks all.....guess its back to the clutch for the first races for me

10. srg5150

srg5150 Well-Known Member

And here's a lession I learned...after shearing two quickshifters off at the threaded end. Use some spare nuts to fill the threaded portion or screw it into your shift shaft as deep as possible for strength. I'll never buy another DJ QS for this reason. Weak design...and no I don't bang gears excessively hard. Anyone want $500 paperweights? They come with a handy cable still attached.