Yamaha 650 Twin

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Tinfoil hat charly, May 17, 2009.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Thinking of building one for V3 and ran into info on "Re-Phasing" these from 360 to 277 degrees [!] anybody done this?

2. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

Charly
    See on the web:eek:ldsidecarcross.com
    Cordialement.Lionel

3. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

You must read:eek:ldside....

4. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

oldside.......Sorry!I have a problem with a smiley!!

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

You got me curious as a friend of mine races an XS-650 so I did the Google thing....There's a bunch of stuff, but this one piece in particular is kind of interesting if for no other reason than the history behind it...

http://www.xs650.de/tips/rephase-e.htm

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. Tinfoil hat charly

7. Tinfoil hat charly

Here's another:

http://www.sense.net/~blaine/270.html

rephased cams are available from Megacycle

8. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

Just build a triumph and not a wantabe.:up:

9. Tinfoil hat charly

Thought about it, seriously...but I'd probably forget which way to shift and crash!

10. Triumph#207

Triumph#207 Well-Known Member

Methinks you is wasting yer time on these folks Tim.

Some folks is just poor learners. Wot more can I say.[​IMG]

P.S My very own Triumph emerged from the fettling shed just this very weekend after some minor fettling and burnishing to join the Phantom on the grid this coming weekend albeit in a minor role to do battle further down in the ranks with them non-believers. Tis indeed an honor your highness :bow::bow:

11. phantom 309

So is it ready for battle? The triumph made left and right shift bikes. My new one is a left but makin it right.:up:

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Perinthian......holler at Mike Wells, or talk to him at barber....he had a nice one in his shop when I was up there, and said he has built several and been successful with them....mcengr...I think:up:

13. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Charlie......about 10 years back....in v-4 there were a few fast ones racing me and Tim.......Mark and ?....they were fast on those bikes...Tim you remember there names........talk to them..they had there bikes set-up very well......

14. Tritom

Tritom Well-Known Member

Doug, Ed Salley was one of them.

I can see the face of another one, but can't come up with the name.

He was a real nice guy and also raced AHRMA as well. It will hit me as soon as I sign off.

15. phantom 309

kurt, but last name ? They b still no match for the mighty triumph.:up:

16. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

You shoulda seen John Ellis' old trackmaster-framed XS Yamaha roadracer. REALLY fast.

Funny watching John try to keep his foot on the peg in the fast left handers...

17. Tinfoil hat charly

The "rephasing" of the 360 deg twin was suggested by brilliant British motorcycle engineer Phil Irving in the 1940's or '50's: if Triumph/BSA's top management had listened Yamaha would have copied the already "rephased" British design!

18. dbc105

dbc105 Well-Known Member

I had been considering the XS650 myself as my first bike. I think I am too heavy to even run with the back markers on the CB350s and the XS650 is just about a big Yamaha version of the same thing. I know them and the Kawasaki 650 was styled after the BSA's & Triumphs but if you look at it, it looks a lot like a CB350. what I am wanting to know is how well would it do in V3/V4? could it be as good as a H1 to a T500? I think they would be in the same class. I hope to get more input this weekend @ Barber.

DC

19. jschmidt

jschmidt Well-Known Member

I have a couple as road bikes. They're delightful and, wow, the lights always light and the battery always charges. I do miss some of the oil leaks I'd have with a 40 year old brit bike, but I try to cope...

20. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Actually H1's and T500's are legal in F-500 with V-3 as the bump up class. with the right parts an XS650 can be VERY fast and they are very reliable. A number of years ago there was a beautiful and very dominant XS650 based 750 that won the V-3 championship. It was done up in the Yamaha yellow with the black strobe stripe. Forgive the spelling but the owner / rider was Michael Iland, and Mark Nadelco ran a nice one also, I believe he also won at least one V-3 championship.

AS for re-phasing the crank I measured a crank to build a press jig to do it for Jens. He moved on to other hobbies before he got that far....