1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lap Record ?'s

Discussion in 'General' started by AndyR1, Apr 30, 2009.

1. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

There's a thread on the Jennings GP website about the record lap time being broken.

Do you think a lap record can be attained by a lap timer during a track day?

Or do you think the record time should be from a sanctioned event with official timing?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it can be verified by a couple of sources if it's not on a system like AMB then I'd say yeah. The AMB thing works differently than an infrared type system so I trust it a bit more for accuracy.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm not exactly sure what the question is, but the way I understood the last 20 years of watching motor sports in general...

For a official track record it needs to happened during a officially sanctioned event.

4. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Must have been all the Factory looking rigs pulling up at Jennings Monday. From what I understand there was testing for the Canadian Superbike teams going on Tuesday.

5. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

canuck teams tested
    szoke broke the record

6. vrooomr6

vrooomr6 Will work for tires

I have seen up to .2 of discrepancy between my XT timer and the AMB results at a wera race.

7. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Tray Batey holds the official track record 1:14.8 during a wera national event...fastest time during a sactioned event...could be wrong

8. UAshaggy85

UAshaggy85 Well-Known Member

wouldnt the canadian superbike test be considered an official event since its a sponsored test by the canadian superbike series?

9. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

my xt was always .1 off so i went by it since it was better.

10. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

Isn't a Canadian minute longer? What's the correction factor?

11. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

yeah arent they on metric time:confused:

12. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

It was an official "series test". The timing was done by the official series timing system. Szoke did a 1:14.4 on his superbike and McCormick did a 1:15.05 on a 600.

13. edehaven

edehaven Eric DeHaven SoCalRaceDad

I was under the impression that a "lap record" needed to be not only during an officially sanctioned event, but that it also has to be done in an actual race.
    You see MotoGP and WSBK in practice go under the track records all the time, but the "official" record doesn't fall till its done during the race..

14. BaM

BaM New Member

:crackhead:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All the records are different and pretty much anyone can say they have the record - depending on how they qualify it. FIM has their procedure and those records are official - for the FIM. The tracks may agree or disagree and keep their own records which are official, for the track.

Personally I don't worry about it all that much. At this point hand timed records are pretty much out but hand timing is a good backup to a lap timer.

16. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

i have the record then. :up:

17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We're notmtalking about how fast you got kicked out of hooters for wearing the outfit. We're talking about lap times around a racetrack

18. Eye-p

Eye-p Full Spectrum Power

I would also speculate that if you were to include AMA team test-times into this equation, the Canadian SBK times would look quite average.
    You can look to the times that the Yosh guys run @ Willow in testing as evidence of this.