1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol...half a fifth a day.

Discussion in 'General' started by sdg, Apr 1, 2009.

1. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

20 some years ago I was drinking a fifth a day of scotch, weighed in at 135 and had a physical job. You could have tapped my blood at anytime and I would have been legally drunk for over a year. I too was a functional drunk. I never passed out or had a DUI. I paid rent at 4 different bars and was at the bar typically 6 out of 7 days.

Scotch was my drink of choice and still is but a beer on occassion is still good.
    At that time I was in a depression unknown to me at the time.

I decided that I needed to make a change in my life so I moved to a new area but still keeping my friends from "home" and added some new friends.
    For some reason that was it for the scotch but beer took its place, 12 pack a day. Again for some reason I moved back "home" and left the beer behind.
    My guess is that I was coming out of the depression.

So after about 18 months I would have a beer or two every now and again or a scotch on occassion. I had paid approx. $10,000 on scotch and another $4,000 on beer. Today I drink at home about a fifth a year and 4 cases of beer. During the racing season I drink about 6 beers per event I work. I also have about 20 drinks thru out the year when I go out to dinner.

I guess what I am trying to say is make a change in your life, something anything. You might supprise yourself.

2. sdg

sdg *

Thanks for the replies fellas.

3. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

750ml

4. ftlbs

ftlbs Active Member

There is help available. A.A.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Originally a fifth of a gallon.

6. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

What the hell happened to my other 7ml's??

7. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Never understood people's proud heavy drinking habits after puberty has completed its course.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:wow:And the OP is not sure whether it's a lot?!:wow:

9. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Remember he said "half of a fifth" so, less than a pint. Still. every day....

10. sdg

sdg *

I know its a lot...

11. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

a pint is 16 ounces, equivalent to the amount of alcohol in 16 shots or 16 12 oz cans of beer. that's a fuckload of alcohol to be drinking on a daily basis.:Puke:

12. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

That's only if you drink crappy beer.:D

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just realized that myself. My bad. He should have just said "a tenth." :D

But seriously, I would think that's enough to be concerned.

14. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Think of the money you'll save SDG, UT liquor stores have CRAZY markup.

15. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Having strolled through that rut, I %100 agree...

16. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

You have to up your game. Winston Churchill drank more than that for 60 years. He lived to a ripe old age. :beer:

17. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the Queen mother drank a 5th of gin a day and she lived to be 102!

There is more to life than regular visits to the liquor store. Find it.

18. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Proof if you're going to be dumb, you better be tough.

I have my suspicions he was Irish.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If she'd stopped drinking she coulda made 110.

20. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

LOL these girls went (or still go if i remember correctly) to Illinois. that's how we party in champaign baby! :up: