Fontana Daytona SportBike (spoiler)

Discussion in 'General' started by daddio, Mar 21, 2009.

1. areceefittywon

areceefittywon Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought that the Ducati's were racing heads up with the I4's and dominating. That is what you said right? Like I said before, with the displacement advantage that Ducati has always had over it's competiton in WSBK, a Ducati rider shouldn't be talking too much smack.

2. areceefittywon

The entire 1125 program is brand new and I am not discounting Barnes or Higbee's past success. Just making an observation that if the Buells were so grossly overpowered when compared to the competiton that there would be more than 1 on the podium.

3. caferace

caferace No.

Two words.

Tire Management

-jim

NOTE: I just pulled that outta my ass. Though minimal tire wear through power delivery (much like the new R1) is a possibility.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. Desmorosso

Desmorosso Well-Known Member

Nope that's not what I said at all, nothing about "dominating". You are incorrect about Ducati always having had a CC advantage in WSBK however. The 999 won the championship against 1000cc I-4s in 2006. I know they had other regulations taking into account the HP difference but CC wasn't one of them.

By all means, let's see the 1200cc Buell race the 1200cc Ducati, fair is fair.

5. Danny WON the end:clap:

6. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can justify an 1125 buell and not let in a 1098 ducati.

7. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Because it's the 1198 now?

8. areceefittywon

No you said that Ducati has been building 1000cc twins that were faster than 1000cc fours FOR YEARS. My bad, you shoulda just put FOR YEAR:)

9. G.Irish

G.Irish Well-Known Member

Or the RC8 for that matter.

10. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

Look - 600s are apples and 1125s are oranges. What DMG has done is make a fruit bowl.

Eat up!

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

RTFRB, pick your bike, pay your entry, Race.

12. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

The Duc's record in SBK obviously disqualifies it for racing against 600's.

13. Desmorosso

Desmorosso Well-Known Member

But isn't that essentially... punishing a manufacturer for making a better bike? It's like MotoGP letting Melandri race the ZX-RR in the 250 class because Kawasaki CEOs pull out a pie chart showing how bad it sucks compared to other 800s.

And just for fun, if winning is grounds for disqualification, where does that leave the Buell?

14. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It's known as performance indexing. Simple concept for most to understand.

15. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

So, now it is the bike? You've got me confused.

;)

16. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

All of you who are rationalizing the Buells existence in a 600 class are morons. The Buell has the same horsepower and twice the torque in bone stock trim, as a well prepared supersport built 600. And who knows what the hell that thing puts out in full on SS/race trim. And they lowered the Buells weight requirement for a reason. Because in SS race trim, that's what the bike weighs. Playing by the rules, there's not a whole lot of weight you can drop off a SS bike. So let's cut the shit. The bike weighs damn close to the weight minimum, or else DMG wouldn't have given it the lower weight minimum to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong... But I doubt it. And let's not forget, the Buells are also allowed to run kit magnesium wheels, kit aftermarket forks, as well as aftermarket triples, according to the special DMG tech bulletins. So I don't want to hear shit about how "difficult" it is to ride.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/assets/AMAPro-CompBull-2009-03.pdf

Congrats to Danny. I'm happy he played by the rules, and won the race. But his victory, in my opinion, would be about as hollow as Mladin winning a race on a full bore superbike while everyone else is running SS spec machinery.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  17. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

18. caferace

caferace No.

Is that why Mat keeps winning? :D

-jim

19. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

No, didn't you follow the crank inspection thing at all? It's because they write the serial numbers on his cranks with a Sharpie.

20. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I meant hypothetically of course :)