sport touring suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I am looking for some suggestions, I live close enough to some good roads that I want something that will be fun, but I may need to ride the bike on some short trips. Repalcing an F3. Hopefully will be using it for transportaion to and from work.

2. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

3. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

4. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

2006 ZX10r. Most comfortable sport tourer on the planet. You'll want it in black w/full akrapovic and 171rwhp. :D

5. Triumph Sprint ST.

That is all.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

What is your budget?

If I were buying new, I'd go for a Triumph Sprint ST w/ OEM luggage, or a Concours 14 if I wanted a bigger, more touring oriented bike. If I was on a bargain hunting expedition (which I was recently) maybe a mid 90's CBR1000F. I bought one for about $2k and it's an excellent bike for short money.

7. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

How much touring will you really be doing?

For commuting and having fun on the little roads around your house it's hard to be a good small standard seating position bike.

I love my wife's Ninja 650R. I can do trackdays on it, ride it two up with her, commute on it, and with a better seat and some luggage could probably tour on it too! Great little all round bike!

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I recently bought a 2007 FZ1, for an all around street bike it's hard to beat.

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I loved my old BMW R1100S- It was a great do everything bike, from 500+ mile touring days, to surprising the squids in the twisties (with bags on, of course) to doing trackdays. It was dead reliable, as long as I remembered to to do the routine maintenance on it. It remains my all time favorite bike. You can find them on Ebay for around $5-6K

10. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Now this is why I waste time on the WERA board, good suggestions, I hadn't thought of these. I will definitely look at the Triumph. Thanks

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Good deals floating around on FJRs.

12. mcskeeto

mcskeeto Well-Known Member

Superduke and forget it. Nothing better. 4.8 gallon tank and can put a 50 liter BMW soft luggage pack on the back seat. Not what you'd first think for sports tourer but nothing better IMHO.

13. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

Ducati Multistrada

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I dunno. Something about peeling off a 1000 mile day with little/no wind protection doesn't sound like fun to me.

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

BMW R1200GS would be my first choice, but obviously is on the more expensive end of things.

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I ride a 99 Bandit 1200 with Corbin seat and Givi luggage and taller screen. Man I love that thing. You can find low-mileage Bandits cheap as stink and they're bombproof if not exotic. with al, the money you save yo can do the forks and buy the nice accessories or do performance stuff. I've been thinking about an FZ1 for years but the ol' Bandit is so comfortable I never seem to get around to it...

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I haven't ever had one, but this for sure is a great budget choice...awesome bikes on short money.

18. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Dollar per dollar first gen FZ1 will shit all over about anything. I bought mine for $2500 with 20K on the clocks. Runs like a champ and just needed tires and pads. if I was to drop more coin a FJ or Concourse would of been on a very short list of bikes. Dont know much about british bikes to say hey or nay...

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Aprilia Futura. They can be had for anywhere between $3500 to $7000. Comfortable, sporty, factory hard cases, and I think they look great.

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What's makes the 1st gen better? I was thinking about a new FZ1 is I ever buy another streetbike but maybe I should look for a low mileage 1st gen?

Before I started racing (read: had time and disposable income) I rode that Bandit from Athens, GA thru Taos, around the Grand Canyon, camped all over. The north rim is spectacular, no crowds. Got waylaid in Telluride. What a great trip. Bike was perfect the whole way. :beer: