520 Chains and Belly Pans

Discussion in 'General' started by Biker Scum, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Biker Scum

Biker Scum Well-Known Member

I'm trying to set up a 2001 SVS for my first season. A little help for the newbie, please:

I've been thinking about trying to pass tech with just a belly pan, but I've had some difficulty finding a 5 quart capacity belly pan. If I go to full standard bodyworks, like Sharkskinz or Cheeta, does the lower fairing incorporate the necessary belly pan, or do I have to put a pan inside the lower fairing? (If the fairing has the necessary capacity, anybody got a used set for sale?)

Also, my stock SV has a 525 chain. But I've been reading that most folks use a 520. What are the advantages of a 520 chain? Is it just the weight reduction? If so, how much are we talking about? Is it a worthwhile investment for my first season?

Thanks all.

BS

Your

2. kyle ray

kyle ray huuhh, he said member

the 520 chain is mostly for ease of finding aftermarket sprockets/chains. it will save a little weight but that's not the main advantage. most everyone runs a 520, and i'd recommend you do the same if you plan on doing any gearing adjustments for different tracks. it will be almost impossible to find 525 stuff at the track.
    as for the bodywork, almost all, if not every bodywork manuf. incorporates the fluid-retaining bellypan into thier bodywork, so all you'll have to do is mount it. i ran gsxr stuff on my sv last season and plan to use it for my back up set this year. i just received my new stuff from hotbodies. it looks like gsxr stuff in the front without the snorkel holes, (gsxr windscreen fits) but it's made more narrow to fit the sv better, and the tail is the basic sv tail with the top part of the gsxr grafted onto it. very cool looking, i was quite pleased.
    and don't forget the frame sliders (worth every penny and then some)