1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure there is but I don't what the line is.

Personally I'd go with Rolex or Omega. One of the understated versions - stainless band, black or blue face, no diamonds or crap like that.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you were going to ever buy one watch which you'd keep forever and hand down I'd suggest either a ss Submariner or a ss GMT, both rolex. You want gold, both available that way.

Another cool rolex is the explorer II. Same movement as the gmt and a lot cheaper. A lot of people think of this watch as a "starter" rolex but truth is it's another watch you can hand down. Great watch.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gold? Blech :D

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some like gold, who am I to harsh their rollin' with puffy dreams? :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it has to be gold then get the blue face/bezel.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The Explorer II with the white face is one of the best looking Rolex's IMO. The Sub is awesome, but it seems like everyone who has a Rolex has one, and on top of that, they're the most popular fake Rolex by far...to the point where when people see one they assume it's fake first. I could give a deuce what people think about my watch, but I bet it becomes an annoying conversation to have after about the 500th time.

Hey, Frank...I noticed you said you got a new Omega, but opted to get the quartz movement. Is that a common option among normally automatic watches? I didn't know that was available. I've almost pulled the trigger a few times on various auto's but I never did because I was worried that it might not get the TLC it needs (regular servicing or whatever).

Then again, the Omega auto that I have hasn't seen the inside of a watchmaker's shop in all the time I've had it and it works fine...I dunno...I'm not a watch expert, I just read about folks having them serviced etc. Was that part of why you went with quartz?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some choose quartz because if you leave it for awhile, you don't have to reset it. Some because they're more accurate. Then there's the fact they're more inexpensive.

For a beater, I choose all three. LOL

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks guys!

9. Gamecock

Gamecock 1998 ZX6R

Yes, very solid pieces. They are out of Elgin, IL. They still do watches today. There is a website where you can do some research on your watch and find out the year, name, etc....search on google, I don't think I have it bookmarked anymore, but I got some good info off it.

Why do people get so hung up on Tags and Rolex...there is so much out there that is better.:confused:

10. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

damn Sean you miss seeing your toes, as well.

11. 02R6

02R6 The dude abides

Thanks a lot for the info. I snapped some pictures of my mine. It is apparently much less intricate than yours. But I still dig it. Shame it sits in a drawer more often than not.

Attached Files:

12. Gamecock

Gamecock 1998 ZX6R

Very cool! Mine just sits in a glass domed little display case on our fireplace. I took it to a watchmaker and he looked at it. Said its worth maybe $800. To restore it to 100% would cost about that as well. It does have a hairline crack on the face but it does work. Since no one carries these any longer I just plan on displaying it and passing it down to my kids when they grow up.

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Most of the Omega Seamasters are available in both quartz and automatic. I chose quartz because it's a dress watch for me, so I won't wear it every day and it's nice to be able to just pick it up and put it on and not have to set it. The automatic version of the same watch is about $900 more, but that wasn't really a consideration, nor was the durability, accuracy or lifetime expectancy. Really just a matter of convenience for me.

14. Knarf Legna

Picked this up for a daily beater. It's a tank, 7 oz., 45mm. Gas tubes are pretty cool.

Attached Files:

• 6102.jpg
      6102.jpg
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Gamecock

Gamecock 1998 ZX6R

Nice one. I had the same one last year and flipped it. I sold it to the wife of a soldier who was in Iraq. She was planning on shipping it over to him.:up: It should last you forever.

My GSAR is my tank, it truly is.

16. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Tag's myself.

My wife blessed me with my latest one when we got married in '07. Tag Link with the diamond accents on the hours.

[​IMG]

-Nico

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oh, I saw that in the other thread. I love the carbon fiber. I've seen a few watches done like that...prolly will end up with one at some point. It appeals to my gearhead sensibilities.

18. Knarf Legna

The CF has a 3D effect in person that doesn't come through in photos, makes the face look like it's 1/2" deep.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, see them all the time, just gotta be in the recliner :D

20. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Looks great....