1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need auto mechanics advice

Discussion in 'General' started by APPI, Feb 18, 2009.

1. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

I have a 99 Ford Expedition with 160000 miles that has a blown head gasket. Is it cheaper to replace the engine or just replace the head gasket?

TIA

2. ktuso327

ktuso327 New Member

head gasket

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

definitely do the head gasket. It's not that big of a deal, really. Pretty straightforward repair.

4. Phoenix1

Phoenix1 Mis-placed Texan

How did it lift a head gasket? If it was overheated, there may be more damage and consequently, more money.

With that many miles, it may be cheaper to get a junkyard engine and throw it in. Again, this depends on how it blew the gasket.

5. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it at the dealer as they are ridiculously priced, but I called and got a price, (info gathering) and they want 2700.00 to do the head gaskets on both sides, but said that doing the head gasket without doing the bottom end can cause issues. Or put in a rebuilt engine for 3300.00 with a 3 year 100000 mile warranty.

Is he right about issues with the bottom end if just the head gaskets are done.

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Why did it blow the head gasket? If it's just a minor leak and needs replacing....just the gaskets. If it's more than that...might be worth the engine.

7. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

Daughter drove it with no coolant. Just spoke with a local reputable shop and he quoted almost 2900.00 saying it 21 hours of labor and 450 in parts. Truck had a rebuilt tranny 30000 miles ago and new transfer case 10000 miles ago. Maybe it's worth putting a 3300 engine from the dealer in. Or wait till the reg expires and the state will give me 1000. for it, says the mechanic.

8. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when she told you that!

9. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

Can't get too mad with her. The temp gauge showed nothing, still doesn't, and I should have shown her how to check it, and she goes to college, gets great grades and works 2 jobs.

10. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

If it's 2100 for the gaskets or 3300 for whole motor w/warranty, i'm doing the motor and being done with it

11. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

For 3300, i'd do the motor swap. If it was overheated to the point of losing a head gasket, the rings might very well be toast as well.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote motor as well. Especially with a warranty on it.

13. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

\

Sounds like the right thing to do. If it was driven w/o coolant, the rings are probably toast and both heads are likely to be cracked too. Even the valves and some other parts may be damaged.