Tahoe reliability

Discussion in 'General' started by mwike, Dec 20, 2002.

1. kyle ray

kyle ray huuhh, he said member

i hope i don't jinx myself, but i have a 98 2wd tahoe with 75,000, pulling a 16' enclosed with everything under the sun in it, and NO problems what so ever. as for the problems in the chevy line, my dad had a 96 z71 that crapped out the tranny around 80,000. but it's my understanding the newer models are "better." that said, if i had the $$$ to buy something new, i would get another tahoe.

kyle

2. kyle ray

kyle ray huuhh, he said member

i almost forgot, a queen size air mattress fits perfectly in the back

3. mwike

mwike Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the Tahoe and the Sequoia. The Toyota is a little more expensive & normally doesn't offer incentives. It sounds like there's a reason the Toyota costs a little more. thanks again.

4. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

I'd like to meet the moron who designed the oil filter mounting point on the Toyota V6 in my wife's minivan, the filter angles down and there's an oil galley right behind it, so when you change the filter it dumps all its contents and more from the galley right onto the engine mount.

At least my Chevy box van has a vertical-mount oil filter that doesn't dump out all the oil when you change it.

5. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

I guess since I said the tranny was no good people would understand the tranny was no good.

Your name was spelled the way is was for a reason Tracy.
    Look at Brad's post, clown!:p

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Man I can relate to this:rolleyes: my Tacoma Prerunner has the V6 & the filter is also angled down, oil pours out everywhere & onto everything. Darn metal skid plate has one arm size hole you reach up through to get at the stupid oil filter. On the flip side my Tundra oil filter was a pain in the butt to get at too:rolleyes:

If Toyota could engineeer something better about their vehicles it should be the oil filter location.

Now on my wifes Mazda Miata we just have to pull the engine to access the oil filter:eek:

7. RC4G

RC4G Active Member

I guess you don't consider replacing the front brake pads every 20k a problem.

The brakes on that generation Tahoe are shit. GM knew it; that's why the 2000 Tahoes had totaly re-designed brakes with larger pads, rotors and 4 wheel disks.

Hell, there is an entire aftermarket geared towards fixing the pathetic brakes on that generation Tahoe. Slotted/drilled disks, larger calipers, master cylinders with larger displacment psitons, stainless lines, the list is almost endless.

... and yes, I own a 1999 2WD Tahoe.

8. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

for what its worth .being in the automotive field for 14 years .
    and in the transmission field for 8 years .

PLEASE PUT A TRANSMISSION COOLER ON ANYTHING YOU TOW WITH THAT HAS A AUTOMATIC TRANNY.

if it has a factory one put a bigger one .the #1 thing that kills trannys is heat .i have seen them turn the tourqe converter blue.
    witch takes about 700 deg.

i see more trannys than most of you so i know what is good and what is not and NOTHING TODAY IS WORTH A SHIT .
    you want a good tranny go get a turbo 400 or a c-6 or a tf-8.
    butt people bitch about mpg .

thaks a little advice from a transmission mechanic.
    change your transmission more offten .20,000 mile ant bad
    (i bet some of you that chaneg you bike oil after every race
    never change your tranny oil .:rolleyes: )

allso take it easy on your tranny ,you dont have to br wfo up every hill .let the car or truck do its jub , dont force it .

btw i drive a chevy astro w/ 4.3 vortec w a 4L60-e tranny
    witch is what the tahoe has .and i have 135,000 miles on it .