1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sv650 fork springs question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by teambastrd07, Dec 19, 2008.

1. teambastrd07

teambastrd07 Well-Known Member

I am about to change the springs in the forks on my sv (03 650) to the springs recommended for my weight, should I change the oil in the forks or just take the old ones out and drop the new ones in?If so, what weight should I go with?Its sprung for a 210 lb rider and Im 140 lbs if that makes a difference.Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Well on the SV rebound is controlled through the thickness of the oil. So if the rebound right now is too slow then just change the spring out. If it is good, then you need to thicken the oil.

It likely has .95 springs in it. With those springs and stock internals (with the compression damping holes welded) I would run 20wt. So I figure try 15wt if it isn't going to be cold out the next time you right. If it is going to be cold then go with 10wt and when it warms up make sure the rebound damping stays where it needs to be.

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I went to sonic for springs. The price was right and the shipping was really fast. They also have a calculator on their site to help you with selection.
    http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/

4. kan3

kan3 Well-Known Member

I was 138lbs when I did my front end and I needed .85kg/mm front springs and 20wt to get ~31/20mm sag and enough rebound dampening to not let it top out.

5. teambastrd07

teambastrd07 Well-Known Member

I also went with the sonic springs, that answered my question pretty good.How is that working out for you?

6. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I've got .85 springs in mine, I'm 138-142 lbs and 5'11", and I had to crank the preload to the point of needing a .9, otherwise it bottoms out. But yea .85 is what to start with for that weight.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Upgrade was easy to perform. They include directions if you need them. No complaints here.

8. kan3

kan3 Well-Known Member

I haven't had mine bottom out yet, but I also have [email protected] turns and I removed the bottom out cones for more travel.