Back on street tires

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 5, 2008.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

After only riding on track for several years I'm kicking around getting a street bike to ride in the mountains. Having not been on street tires for a long time I'm not sure what to expect. Has anyone else had any issues going back to street riding after being off the street for a while. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna forget I'm not on race rubber and end up on my head expecting more out of the tires than they will offer.......... I'm hoping with modern tires the grip level is not as far apart street vs race that it was years ago

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just calm down. There's no reason to ride on the street at a pace beyond the capabilities of street tires like Pilot Powers or DC3s. They're good tires.

3. notbostrom

up here I could easily run at race pace and never see a car all day

4. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

Yea, just because you can doesn't mean you should. There's a reason people take riding to the track and not to the street. When there is opposing traffic, sand/dirt on roads, and trees/poles lining your route, you shouldn't be riding like you do on the track.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Would you see a tree? Or a guardrail? Or gravel? Or a phone pole?

And if you're running a race pace all day on the streets, just use race DOTs and put them on warmers before your hot laps up in the mountains.

:Poke:

6. notbostrom

I'm not supporting full on squid mode... that's why I went to racing. I was just curious after not riding street tires for 10 years what to expect

7. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Street tires suck in this scenario. What i have found is i am so freakin scared when i ride on the street that i never get near a race pace. But it is way different on the tire situation. Feels like riding on bricks to me. Of course, i'm usually riding on new o.e.m. tires on new bikes which ar typically not the best tires to start with.

8. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Dibs on the wreckage!

just kidding buddy.

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

You'll be stunned at how good some of the new street tires are.

The bad news is, you need to replace them more often than in the old days.

10. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Just read that you have not ridden street in 10 years. You actually may be surprised in street tires these days.....

11. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I like the Pilot Powers:D I ride alot up there when I can get off and spend the time there. Pilot Power 2CT's are not up to the task at least not for me I prefer the regular Powers on the street. 2CT's tend to slip on my 1000 when just a tad cool. The Powers do not last long on a liter bike.;)

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

the trackday tires are pretty good on the street as long as you stay out of the rain. the bt002rs's are supposed to be pretty nifty and i know the michelin 2ct's are sticky enough for me on the street.

14. ITACUD

ITACUD Active Member

Pilot Powers will do it Just fine for what you want.

15. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

just run DOT race tires

thats what the do at all the real roadraces in Ireland and Isle of Man

why not use em here??? ;)

16. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

DC III's are great street tires. Loved 'em.