1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing dust seals from caliper

Discussion in 'Tech' started by keithcar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. keithcar

keithcar Well-Known Member

I pulled apart the rear caliper of my NC30..Ive found the dust seals to be deformed/melted. Can I run without the dustseals? Or is this a ..:tut: I assume the only thing i would need to watch out for is corrosion of the pistons.

Thanks!

2. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

probably not a good idea.

The seals are there for a reason, and they are also melted for a reason. You should find the culprit and repair or you might get a free ride over the handlebars

3. keithcar

I definately dont want that to happen.

I know why they melted (long story) disc bolt backed out.. bent caliper mounting bracket.. misalignment caused pads to drag on disc resulting in overheating.

anyways i know its popular to remove dust seals on street car calipers if you use them on a race car..

wondering if anyone does this on their bikes?

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

why would you remove the dust seals? sounds dumb to me.

as to the overheating have you checked that the caliper piston bore is round? might have messed up the caliper in the process.

5. keithcar

Its still round. the pistons move free in the bore. The inner square section o rings still feel and look good. Everything works great testing the caliper with compressed air.

im just sayin, if i can get away with running without dust seals I'll do it. AFAIK all the dust seals do is keep moisture/dust out of the piston bore. If im into the brakes every few weekends i would think it will be just fine without them.

6. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

You can get away with a lot of things. How much are you willing to experiment? I've seen a GSXR with only the 2 long engine mount bolts in place becuase the guy put a 750 motor in a 600 frame & the top hanger holes no longer lined up. The bike ran & stayed together. Even passed tech. Did he get away with it? I guess. Would i be willing to find out what happened when he didn't? Not me. What about that one weekend where you don't get a chance to get into your brakes? Or you thought you could get away with 3 weekends & it turns out that having no dusts seal means you have to be in there every 2 weekends.

Is it so hard to get a dust seal?