1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not keeping charge. Help Please Can it be the stator or.....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by antor1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

My bike is not keeping the battery charged. I know its most likely the stator but is there anything else I should look into?
    This is what has happened:

1st My battery on the R1 started dying slowly until it gave up. I put it on the battery tender and after a while it gave in and died. So I decided to put this battery on my track bike a GSXR 600, it worked fine and still as of today works fine.

2nd So a buddy of mine gave me a battery to put on my r1, battery is pretty much new and today after a week of not starting the bike she turned right on and was fine, I kept her on for about 10 min. I turn her off cause some friends stopped by and after they left 30min later I tried to start the bike and this is what happened, she would crank but as soon as she started she turn off. I had to keep her a bit reved to make he stay on and after 2min or so of having her reved she would stay on.
    Whats going on? What is it?

2. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

If the battery has enough amps to properly operate the starter motor it should have more than enough amps to keep it running.

4. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

That makes totally sense, I understand your point, but can it be still be the stator though? Maybe its playing games that it works then stops working, like on and off?

5. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I just read that thread but the signs I have are not similar., even though I havent been on the bike for a while.

Maybe she got a cold LOL

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Look for burnt terminals at the rectifier.

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

As long as the battery has enough charge to operate the starter then the battery going dead and the engine dying out are two seperate issues IMHO.
    Start at the beginning and measure volts/amps at the battery with the engine at around 3000 to 5000 RPM.
    If it's not charging the battery THEN backtrace why, don't just start naming random parts and wondering if a particular bit is lame.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  8. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

You need to check, or have someone help you check the following:

1) load test on the battery
    2) loaded VAC output from the stator
    3) unloded VAC output from the stator
    4) insulation breakdown on all 3 stator leads
    5) normal and reverse bias continuity checks on the regualtor/rectifier

9. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

What tool do I need for this? And where can I get a cheap one?

10. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

11. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

A cheap multimeter will cause you even more problems.

12. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

C'mon. This is the internet. Don't you know you can fix anything with a PC & a question mark? Who needs tools & knowledge anymore? :rolleyes:

13. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

Update: Yesterday I turned on the bike and it was fine. It didnt turn off immediately like it did before. This is really confusing me. Dont know maybe she really did get a cold

14. 2weelferrum04

2weelferrum04 Well-Known Member

Haha
    She will do it again . Get her diagnosed as others mentioned.