1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What other President?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What past President(s) received the amount of condemnation before ever taking office that the current President elect has? Any party, any year.

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Bush in 2000 wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms. Obama is not experiencing anything new.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You are probably right. I guess I don't associate with many of the folks who bashed him back then.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Let's be fair, when you sell yourself as the answer to all the world's problems, expect to take some heat.
    A recent poll found he already had great approval of the job he's doing, even thouh he has yet to assume the job.
    I'd say he has the jump on a few other Presidents.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Let's be fair, EVERY Presidential candidate from day 1 makes promises they and we know damn well they can't keep. We hope they'll deliver a percentage if we are lucky.

6. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Are you referring to the campaign rhetoric?

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm referring to post-campaign, pre-office. I seem to recall grudging acceptance in the past. It's expected during the campaign.

8. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

You must listen to too much Limbaugh. :D

I see the problem as just the opposite, sort of like what IYC posted. So many have such high expectations for Obama (and the mess is so enormous) that my guess is that he has nowhere to go but down in the popularity polls.

9. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are going to be majorly disappointed - half of the people expect him to be the messiah, the other half the anti-christ, when the truth is, he's just another politician that is coming into the job during a shit-storm.

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

:stupid:

the whole messiah thing was not his doing ,it was the hippy's, the hopeless,and the sick and tired's who gave him that title and credit.

he's just a guy ,regular ambitious politician who happened to come at a time when people needed someone to at least appear to change the mess.Could have been anybody .

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama's stature fall more than one would expect because so many people have had a starry-eyed image of him. When many of them find out that he's nothing more than a normal man they will be greatly disillusioned.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Boortz occasionally. Keep thy friends close and thine enemies closer.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I haven't heard it from anybody other than the sore-losers.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Moot point. The WERA BBS wasn't at full strength before this. :moon:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've heard condemnation from the sore losers and mindless cheerleading from those who voted for him. Nothing new.

16. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

I dont know about that ,some people were convinced he was the answer to all their problems,and they defend every thing about him like its blasphemy to say otherwise .The thing is ,if you think a guy in Washington is the next coming ,your deserve whatever you get.

Look at people in lunatic fringe cults ,they are so excited to be a part of something they lose their common sense .

I don't know who bugs me more ,people who think Obama is Jesus or people who think he's the devil .At least the people who hate him understand he's just some dude,who's done some shit .Look at people who cry and fawn over celebrities,crazy knows no bounds.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I think it seems a bit worse this time than in the relatively recent past. The part that cracks me up is how much attention the losing VP candidate is still recieving. Who gives a shit.

If anyone thinks that Obama is going to be able to fix very much in this term you are in for a big disappointment and that is not slam on him at all. He's not going to be able to fix much regardless of his promises or intentions.

Like was already mentioned, they always promise the world and no one ever delivers.

Congress took several years to put us in the hole we are in. It all started back when the Dems had control before, they high fived the Repubs a few years ago when they took control and they've managed as a team to fuck us all. No President is going to fix that easily.

18. Strick

Strick Good to be king

That is what I keep getting hung up on. He was elected based on hope and change, is that the promise that he can't deliver?

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Just the change part.

Now that everyone that voted for him have all this hope they can feel better. Maybe if they put all that hope together they will get change. Make me feel all warm and fuzzy. I wonder how much they will tax the warm and fuzzy? :D

20. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

pretty to easy to see the hope and change a lot of people have experienced since his nomination and winning the election .Might not be your cup of tea ,but its felt by many.The country has hope for change ,not good enough?

the change is a minority is the president and the hope is that it won't be another 8 years of bush .How high does your cup have to be filled ?
    :beer: