1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Residents: Prop 8?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Chris, Nov 5, 2008.

?

Prop 8, where do you stand?

1. Yes on 8: I do not want same sex marriage in California

27 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No on 8: Same sex marriage is a right that should be legal

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. I am neutral on the subject

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Cannoli will not be able to get married in California

11 vote(s)
    12.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Hey I don't get it either...I could really care less if you marry another dude (or woman). As long as it doesn't affect me just as I wouldn't have my relationship affect anyone else. I really have no opinion on gay marriage. Personally I think marriage as a whole should not be managed by the government.

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i guess i assumed the payout would be the same, such as death benifits, etc. i suppose the payouts would be whatever they were entitled to, regardless of their partners sex.
    payout on death is 100,000. well the same would be paid out regardless of their sexual orientation. at least thats how i looked at it.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You think maybe all they are asking for is equal rights for everyone?

And what do you do when your church wants to accommodate you, but the state won't allow it?

4. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

How "personal" was that experience :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, unlike most here, I grew up among black people. I didn't learn about them on TV. :D

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Papa, I just think that anyone should be able to get married to anyone of their chosing and the State should recognize the union as a civil union. I don't think the State should be issuing marriage licenses.

If Marriage is or understood to be a religious definition, then omit this from the courts and let the church have it to themselves.

I don't see why this is so complicated.

7. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

You and I agree on something --the world must be ending for you. :D

8. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

"Heyyyyy heyyyyy heyyyyy"

9. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I don't think marriage is a right. Its nowhere in the constitution, there are rules and requirements such as no immediate relatives or first cousins (however, after the woman's menopause she can marry relatives). The point of government marriage is simple: to encourage and regulate procreation. With out procreation the state (nation) dies. Look at Europe. Those countries are struggling do to low birth rates. Homosexuals do not procreate, therefore, they should not be married.

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Sorry, I was delayed for a moment by actual work :). Marc hit it right on the head, I was referring to the costs that would be borne from additional insurance dependants, particularily in the public sector.

Insurance costs for my employer increase upwards of 50% for each employee per additional dependant (spouse or child), e.g. $8K for an individual, $12k for individual + spouse (these are obviously rounded figures and only for illustration). Persons on the public payroll taking advantage of the additional benefits would have these increased costs covered by the taxpayers.

My point was that taxpayers who are already stretched to the limits should be given at least a minimal say in any issue that would potentially cost them more. It's not the subject of gay marriage per se (I really don't care who ya like to cuddle with), but I question any spending when it comes to dipping into public funds which are already stretched and/or abused beyond belief in many locals.

Substitute "gay marriage" for "undocumented immigrant" and I'll give you the same answer. There comes a point where citizens should be given a say as to how many other people they'll have to pay for down the road through increased taxation.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Personally I can't figure out where there would be a real difference and wouldn't this only apply to those working for the government?

Had my wife been a dude it would have costed anyone else any additional cash because she/he was on my insurance.

And for the sake of this discussion... I would be the dude in the relationship. :D

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:crackup:

13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

according to kleb, homosexuals cant have babies, so they wont cost anything extra in a marriage. the whole no dependants thing might actually save money :p:rolleyes:

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I learned about them on a black and white TV. :D

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'd so be the bottom and you know it.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

18. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

:beer:

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks for explaining.

Maybe to people who feel that way should lobby to get all marriages banned. No dependents of any kind, lower taxes. :)

20. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Exactly, if it's about lower insurance it seems like you would WANT gays on there because there is a 0% chance of adding children. And we all know how expensive those little bastards are. :mad: