Samsung Plasma TV Issues... Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by burner42, Oct 30, 2008.

1. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

Hey, most of you guys on these boards seem to have good information or past experiences in every facet of life so I thought I would see if you can help me out. I have a Samsung HP-S5053 50" Plasma TV, I have had it for 2.5 years (bought new from Fry's). Last week the picture started messing up, it has gradually become worse. The picture is very fuzzy with thousands of little tiny red & green dots, if you go from a picture to a dark blank screen you can see image retention. Samsung says the warranty is expired and it will cost as much or more than a new TV to repair. Seems pretty crappy a $3500 TV only lasts 2 years. Any suggestions on getting a replacement? I do not play video games or leave a paused picture on the screen at all, I followed all the break in procedures and everything... this sucks!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

check out the panasonic plasmas. Prices have dropped big time. A 1080p 50" is sub $2k now. That is if you want a new tv and want to stay plasma.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

All I can say is across the board with these large displays they ALL have issues if you believe the folks at avforums. Somebody gets hosed with every model. This is one product where it pays to get the extended warranty. I had an lcd go haywire in 4 months and my $65 warranty reimbursed me in full. I got an extended warranty on my new purchase as well. A lot of times these large panels are cost prohibitive to repair as you've found out. I spend equal amounts of time researching the warranty as well as the product.

4. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

also when you buy, buy with amex, i know mine doubles the factory warrenty for up to 2yrs on anything you buy (there may be some exceptions like a car or something)

5. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Get a new Panasonic (plasma) and a extended warrenty.....

6. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

I've got the same TV, a 50" Samsung HD Plasma, and have had it about 2 years now. As well, I've had issues. Fortunately I did purchase the extended warranty (which I wouldn't normally do, except for the fact this TV was 3+ times more than I ever spent on a TV).

The first started 3 weeks after owning it when the picture would go out. The sound and everything worked, but the screen would turn off for 3-5 minutes before automatically working again. After a very heated argument with Circuit City who claimed that because I called them on the 5th week after purchasing it (as I spent the previous 1.5 weeks working with DirectV to confirm it wasn't the new HD box I purchased), their contracted timeframe for responsibility had expired (4 weeks/1 month). So I called Samsung. After talking with 3 separate reps in countries outside the US and really not understanding a single thing being said, I was finally transferred to a Mgr in OH. She helped and in the end, I had a brand new TV deliver/installed within a week.

The second problem I had was red dots on the border of the screen. The extended warranty took care of it with a visit from a technician who opened the TV and adjusted something regarding the power to it. Problem solved.

If doing it again, I wouldn't buy a Samsung although I've heard many other brands encounter similar issues/problems.

Good luck with resolving your problem.

Keith Reed

7. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

i've been very impressed with the samsung 650/750/850 series of LCD TVs.

8. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I'm very pleased with the the Samsung LCD I bought also.

YOu can get a new 52" LCD for a little over $2k now.

9. nevada

nevada Member

its a plasma...thats half the problem right there.

theyre making standard LCD's bigger now.

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It's more than likely the power supply board failing. You might be able to get some temporary relief by adjusting the VScan voltage on the board, drop it down 5V or so and see if it helps. Or, if you're handy with a screwdriver you can get a replacement from shopjimmy, $120. If you don't want to do either just ship it to me, I'll take it off your hands. ;)

PS: A reputable TV repair guy should not charge more than about $300 to fix it.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

None of the current "Digital" display technologies are worth a shit. None of them can do a gradient as well as a 20 year old CRT tube. Paying more for something that looks like shit everytime something on screen blows up or is covered in a hanging cloud of fog seems odd to me.

Plus I have yet to see an LCD television last more that about 2 years without some dead pixels or just plain crapping out. DLP's hang mirrors and provide the same look as a dead pixel on and LCD and Plasma's make the power meter on the house spin like a damn frisbee in a hurricane.

Seems to me newer isn't neccessarily always better.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Sorta true (looks like shit is pretty strong) but 1080p on my 52" DLP is more fun to look at than a letter boxed 720 picture on the old 32" XBR (that cost more than the 52"er did). I still have that TV in my office, and when I watch it I feel like I'm watching a 19" tv from 200' away in comparison.

It's going on 3 years old w. no probs.

13. Venom51

I am not saying the picture isn't better under certain conditions and I like my 46' DLP minus the fact it looks like ass trying to diplay a cloud or a light haze of smoke. Gradients are something thay still can't do well until I would think the resolution at least doubles again. Then it might be tolerable. But hey you can see that pimple on your favorite football player ass from 20 feet across the room so I guess that's worth something.

14. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Best Buy

I can do nothing but sign praise for Best Buy and there extended warrenty. We had a LCD rear projection and 4 days before the 4 year warrenty expired the bulb went out. This was the 3rd time this occured, and when the rep came out we did not even make an attempt to put a new bulb in, he called and got a charge number for us and told us to go to the store and pick out a new TV and we got the full credit of what we paid 4 years ago toward a new set, any manufacture. I am partial to panasonic, so we now have a 50' 1080p plasma and only paid $33 to get it. The warrenty is only like $300 for 3 years and is worth every penny. We also had a similar issue with a LG washer, and after 3 calls to repair they gave us full credit toward another unit. It does not even have to be 3 of the same, just 3 period. BEST BUY is the only place I will buy electronics and appliences. Plus, with the free reward zone certifiactes, I will almost get a free laptop. Check them out, they will also match prices from mysimon.com on the same model number.

15. Venom51

Wierd how the shopping experience varies as they are one of the last 2 places I go and the other is Circuit Shitty.....I only go to either of those as an absolute last resort.

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Panny's customer service was AMAZING the one time I needed them. can't recomment them highly enough. love my TV, too:p

17. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

It's not a Plasma, but I just picked up the Sammy HL61A750 DLP and I'm astounded at the picture quality. No bulbs to change ever (LED technology) and one of the highest rated DLP sets on CNET. Well worth it at about $1400 for a 61" set.

18. burner42

I made an appointment with a certified samsung repair technician today. See what happens. He comes out Monday.

19. burner42

OK so a little time has gone by, but I believe Samsung made good! They sent out a repair guy, he took one look at the picture and said it needs a new plasma screen. Contacted Samsung, they told me they would upgrade it to a new 2009 PN50a550 Plasma for $550 upgrade fee. I feel this is a pretty good deal especially since the warranty was expired. I got the TV today and it is KILLER! Newer technology than the past unit, better picture. I was so stoked I went and bought a new Samsung PN50a650 Plasma on Black Friday from sears for $1699.00! It retails for for $2700.00. I couldnt even find that price online !
    Thanks Samsung! Cant wait to watch some HD Moto GP/WSBK.... maybe some ama or whatever that new series is called.