Endurance Team questions

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by svdale, Nov 10, 2002.

1. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

I have a couple of questions about endurance racing, Me and a buddy want to do it, we both have 2001 SV and both race prepped, weigh about the same only my 6'0 and he is about 5'9, we have no problems with cutting the cost with one another . What we need to know is, how many people do you need for an endurance team? How does a race work, do you switch riders at a pit-stop or one rider per race? what consist of a pit stop, gas, tires etc.? and anything else we should know starting this endurance team up would be greatly apperciated, thanks Dale

2. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

it takes a minimum of 2 riders,but it is good to have three because of the longer races and it is very demanding to ride at race pace for over an hour.finding a third person for your team should not be hard,and i would ride for you if you dont find a third.for the pit stops you need a man with a fire extiqusher,a gas man.tire changes do happen most of the time on the bigger bikes but you may be able to do the 4 hour races on one set on your sv's,but i am sure you will need to chage for the longer races.the most important,and hardest thing to find that you need is scorers.these people have to sit in the tower and record every lap.also you will need to switch riders at the pit stops.the rule is that no rider may ride for longer than 2 consecutive hours without 30 minuets off the bike.hope this helps you
    chris

3. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Thanks Chris this does help out alot, I guess I will have to talk to my parnter and see what he wants to do about more teammates and I will keep you in mind, thanks for the advice, Dale:D

4. chris73

any time i can help just let me know
    chris

5. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Is your team scorer the official scorer for the race? What's to keep someone from cheating?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me. :D

The scorers are now a back-up to the transponder system. But they are still very important!

The old way we did it there were some good back-ups and rules in place to keep cheating from happening.

7. paul

paul just fast enough

Three riders.. Now you tell me!!! All these years I've had Glenn with SBR and Kevin with VCR..I'm gonna have to read that rule book some day. HEHE..

8. chris73

well mister youngman when you have a machine like glenn on the bike all you need is sombody to ride for 30 minutes so glenn can get a drink and not ride more than 2 hours:D

9. paul

paul just fast enough

You are so right about Glenn but , we did do all the 6 hour races with just me and Kevin for the last three years so I am getting a little more seat time now. Anddon't forget Im older then Glenn...:D

10. chris73

i would gladly help you guys out in the 6 hour races if you needed it.if so let me know i could mail you a resume.i think you would remember me i used to be a mid atlantic fast guy.

11. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Too bad the rules were not strongly enforced. I'm reffering to when team ten 40 got caught cheating at atlanta motor speedway and all they got was a slap on the wrist.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's odd, in all the years of doing this I only remember one time where someone was actually cheating and that was at a 24 hour. There have been times where people made mistakes but I never thought they were cheating.

Or was I not at that race? And you were the official in charge of scoring too right?

13. Steve Karson

Yup, that's right, I was in charge.:D

The way I remember it was they ran out of gas and lost 3-7 laps pushing their bike back to the pits, but they never lost a lap, the scorer kept writing down their laps as if they never stopped racing. I believe the only thing that was done was to take away the laps they gave themselves while they were pushing their bike in, there was no other action taken against them. I think it was in '98, but I will check with some other peopes who were there for confirmation.
    Then again, after knocking myself out twice last year, maybe I just dreamed it?:D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See the difference between cheating and making a mistake is simple - in this case the scorer wasn't cheating, they just looked at the wrong bike - a fairly normal occurance.

See, if we labeled mistakes as cheating then your scorers would have gotten your team kicked out of Endurance racing a long time ago. For proof I'll gladly show you your score sheets...

15. Steve Karson

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Now that this has been cleared up, Steve, the board needs your help.It's friggin boring as hell.I depend on it not only for current schedule questions to Mongo,but for some wit also.So stop slacking and get at it!;)