1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 R6 Engine Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Teutsch2, Sep 9, 2008.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have that tool, it's no different than any single gauge leak down tester. I don't need you to explain the physics to me, but thanks.

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Then you know that the amount of air introduced is low vol/low pressure as opposed to the standard off the shelf auto shop versions sold off tool trucks that blast high pressure air into the cyl/s.
    Have you not noticed how slow the guage rises and how you hear a slow hiss when filling the cyl?
    Run back to back tests using the high press version and the low press version and the %of leakage will be MUCH different.
    Not trying to make you prove you know how to make the squirrels run around in the cage bro...

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have. They're not different by any significant amount. They both run at 100 psi. I don't know what a 'high pressure' gauge might be, but I don't have one. Maybe your original gauge was made for a big bore V-8.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Is there any delay before the full 100lbs is input, or does it dump full press as soon as it's activated?
    The one I was shown introduced air slowly (and did not reach 100 if I remember right), and showed leakage of around 20% where my 100lb pressure tester showed 2% to 4%.
    We went ahead and did a freshen up and found significant wear which would have hindered the racers ability to run at the front, which was the reason for the test in the first place, along with retorquing the heads and re-lashing the valves, if it had passed the leak test.

5. Teutsch2

Teutsch2 Active Member

thanks for all the input, chose not to do the lleak down test. pulled the head off, low and behold one of the intake valves had a nice piece out of it, that piece took a few nice chunks out of the piston. thank God for spare engines.