1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650s: help with racetech!

Discussion in 'General' started by fishinking86, Sep 13, 2008.

1. fishinking86

fishinking86 Well-Known Member

no it didn't list or show anything that i didn't get, but i'm sure the dude knew i was expecting the spacers and washers. he's right. he didn't advertise the spacers and washers, so what can i do? i just think it's pretty gay. a little heads up would have been nice. now my bike is sitting in the garage on stands and the forks are in pieces. i won't be able to go to any store to buy pvc until friday (3 engineering tests this week) and i wanted to have this little project done last week.

i've never messed with suspension and am just now getting into trackdays (as i said earlier, i've never actually been on a track) and i guess i just didn't know what questions to ask.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

you have plenty time.
    if you not putting emulators in it is easy to cut spacers.pm me and I will tell you how to figure length.it is really simple.
    if you not comfortable with emulators and rest send forks out.you have time.
    and forget about kawi shock,get real shock for racing.

3. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Ok, you're wasting your time using .90 springs on the forks, definitely not stiff enough. They're light for me and I'm 165. The best thing you could do (with what you have on hand) is the emulators, drill the damping rods, and put the proper fork oil to the proper level. The front end will still be very soft.

I'd leave the stock shock on the bike unless the 600 shock mod you plan to make as been tested and has proven itself. Reason? A stock bike, with the stock set up can still be ridden pretty fast on the racetrack. If you play around with the suspension you may well make matters much worse.

I'd send the stuff to a shop and have it done right and be done with it. Just some suggestions.

Good luck ! :up:

Shouldn't this be moved to tech ?

4. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

get the thing on the track with the best reasonable baseline setting. Make some spacers out of PVC cut to different lengths. Forget the rear shock right now and get the rest ready so you make sure and make your school. When you are pushing the front and pogo-ing the rear then work on it then- for now get on track and have some fun! I think .90 will be just fine- dont worry until you find out for sure.

5. fishinking86

is that you, buff? lol you found me. i haven't booked the school yet. i think i'm going to tomorrow. my suit is scheduled for delivery tuesday. my tires should be here shortly after. now i have to safety wire whatever needs to be wired and it should be, if nothing else, trackable (after i resolve the fork spring problem, of course).

6. fishinking86

thanks. move this thread wherever it needs to be moved. i figured you roadracing guys would know.

the front end might still be a little soft, but it can't be nearly as bad. the .90 is pretty close to what racetech recommends for my weight. if i don't like them i can alway sell them (and inform the buyer that the'll have to make some spacers!).

7. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Relax. Deep breaths. Your bike wont be holding you up the first time you go to the track... there's a lot to learn. Dont worry about the bike/tires/forks/etc. Go have fun.

8. fishinking86

<rubbing ears> WOOOOOO SSAAAAAAAAH (bad boys movie...anyone?)

alright. i guess i get too caught up in all this stuff. first steps first, right? regardless, i've got to put my forks back together and i'd *like* to put the new springs in. if anyone asks why they're just sitting upside-down in a bucket for a week, i'll just tell them i want to make sure that all of the old fork oil has drained out...

9. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

There is a "tech section" on the board for technical discussion, many of us have been helped posting in that section.

It's quite common to make your own spacers when doing the forks.

My statements are tainted because I like to take things apart "once" and get the right stuff in there. Personally, I see no benefit from moving to a stock set up bike to a half-assed set up bike (no offense intended). If you're not going to put the right springs, or the emulators, and you want to put on a rear shock that is the wrong shock for the bike...:confused: I've listened to pros and still had problems (caution I'm no pro :) ). I'm not criticizing, I just dont' see the plan coming together as a better handling machine. If you gave me a choice of riding your bike or a stock set up bike...I'd ride the stock bike, at least there would be no surprises.

I'm not saying you'll crash or have a bad experience...just what you're doing is a waste of time and energy. My opinion of course. But good luck and I mean that seriously. :beer: