1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn 4 at VIR

Discussion in 'General' started by Sig, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me why they don't grade that hill back some in turn 4? It seems like it would be a fairly cheap change to the track and there is more than enough hill behind it to take out 15 or 20 feet.

Likewise they could move the fence and barrier back some on the outside of turn 3 and the only thing you would need to do is move the picnic table back closer to the concession area.

Seems like some simple changes that would greatly improve that area.

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Thats a nice place for a table, and if you move it the concession area would be cramped

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

3 isn't really an issue right now, but 4 would be nice to have more runoff in.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Move Ducati corner? Blasphemy.

5. Yea, 4 is lacking a little runoff for sure, and it seems like an easy fix. Otherwise, VIR is pretty good as far as runoff is concerned.

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Its not Ducati corner anymore... Suzuki staked it out this year...

7. Not the corner, just the runoff. The ducatista (or the suzuki fans, whoever comes first) can still stand there, just 100 feet further from the track:D

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've crashed in Turn 4 and barely made if off the race surface. I've seen numberous crashes there and never seen anyone come close to a barrier. A stuck throttle or maybe wet conditions might get you there but thankfully I haven't seen that happen. I love the spectator view from there and as long as riders aren't hitting anything I don't see a problem with it.

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I think they should move the dirt to the there side of the track and put up viewing mounds on the inside of the turns so people can still see and we could have run off. I love that place but there are very few places to actually watch more then a couple of turns at a time.

10. Yea, wait till someone hits it and then change it. The good old way.:rolleyes:

I love VIR, and consider it to be one of if not the safest tracks that I have ridden on, but good spectating is not a valid reason for not increasing the runoff

I had to take evasive action to avoid hitting a lapped rider in 4 once, and I came pretty close to hitting the armco. Turn 4 is a passing area, and therefor you will have racing incidents there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Won't be a problem after this year. The bikes will be so slow with the new rules. :D

12. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

we were standing there when yates fell down. he didn't hit the bank and it gave hime nice place to lay in the grass until his scooter ride arrived.:D

13. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

Simple, cars don't need it.

That is all...

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

:tut:

A very fast pro rider can tuck the front and not get close to hitting the bank but a club hack can't pass traffic there. Don't you see the urgency for VIR to act!?

15. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

That grass must be much more comfortable than where Yates was laying the last time he crashed in 4.:D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on where you crash, Yates was on the right hander exit. I'm more concerned about the entrance left hander.

17. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

And there was no Ducati Island @4 this year. There were Motard rides instead thanks to Duc Pond Ducati and Donnie Unger

18. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

negative.....Yates lowsided turning into 4 yesterday.

19. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Run-off in 3 was increased this year, about 40+ feet then tapering down to no change where the septic tank/corner stand is located.

oh and Air Fence is in the process of being allocated for use at VIR for all races there by the RoadRacing World Action Fund. There should be adequete supply for Turns 3, 4 and 5 but with changes may be used in other locations.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was thinking of the red flag one. Didn't see yesterdays so thanks for the info.

FWIW I'm not too concerned about it. It's more one of those areas where if I had to pick something at VIR to change, that would be it.