1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on injured wrist......

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Aug 11, 2008.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I tried what you said, I dunno if Im doin it right but I dont have Severe pain.....its def. not comfortable though.

2. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've spent some major time with broken bones unfortunately (neck, back, legs, wrists, thumbs, fingers, nose, you name it) haha, I've been trying to cut back on that stuff.........

sometimes dirt track was mean to me :eek:

Sounds like beaver at the end of the month is next for me! I see you're from PA so you'll probably be there?

3. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Kyle, Brandon was one of the guys that came and was with you at AB lol..

4. gpstar748

like I said......get to work!!! :p

5. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

hahahahaha my bad i had a slight thought of that but i was like... nahhhh cant be him

ah oops? :D

6. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

Vick , if it hurts sooo bad STOP TYPING...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

7. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I broke my scaphoid in 05. I think I cracked it at Talladega and then pretty well broke it in half when I was taken out at cycle jam. Best thing I did was a screw. Another guy I work with broke his on a dirtbike and he didn't have surgery. 6 months in a cast and his still wasn't healed. I had a screw put in and had a removable custom splint that I wore for 5 months before I could take it off completely.

as far as the pain, I thought it was alright, went to the doc ina box and he said it was sprained, went to race again within 2 weeks and raced fine till I crashed on that wrist. I had taken a F3 apart and completely dismantled my crashed GSXR and didn't find out it was broken until 2 weeks after the second crash. I went to a physical therapist at work and she put me through some motions and told me that if I couldn't do what she had that I needed an appointment at the orthopedist.

Monday appointment finally showed the break, tuesday surgery, wednesday flight to philadelphia for work.

If it is broken it takes forever to heal and then it may not heal correctly. I would let them screw it. I still can't do pushups but I really didn't do many before I broke it either so I am not a good comparison there. I can do most anything else that I want to. I just can't flex it all the way back like I can the other wrist.

8. gpstar748

im not likin this whole idea of never bein able to do pushups again :mad:

9. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

i gotta tell ya, I'm not that upset about it :D

10. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Broke my left scaphoid in feb. of 06. 7 weeks in a cast and I was released. Still hurt but not too bad.
    Come August of 07, it still hurt, worse. Different Dr. says "It hurts because it's still broken, and, as an added bonus, it's now full of arthritis and really messed up".
    Soooo, 6 hours of surgery, one vascularized bone graft, and 3 pins later I was back in a cast for 8 weeks or so.
    Still hurts a bit but only at extreme flexion. I can ride, play golf, whatever without pain so it was worth it.
    Make sure you follow up with a second opinion. These brakes are tricky to diagnose and find.
    Cheers, Lee S.

11. ruggerR1

ruggerR1 Well-Known Member

This is the exact same situation I have. I hurt mine about a month and a half ago, I think during a mtb fall. Actually I re-hurt it, cause I hurt it originally in a crash at MidO in 05, but it didn't hurt as bad as my broken fibula and sprained ankle, so I left it to heal on it's own. Anyway, same thing, for the last month or so, and I had the same thing a couple years ago after crash, I couldn't bend it back and put weight on it like during a push up without severe pain, so I got an x-ray and it shows normal. Dr. gave me naproxen which has made it feel better and I have tried to stretch it out. I was actually able to do a few normal push ups a few days ago without pain, but yesterday after riding at MidO, it was bothering me quite a bit. It's my right wrist. I think at this point every time I catch myself falling off my mtb or anything else, it's going to be a few months of this crap.

12. uajeff

uajeff Active Member

May not be a break. Ask your doc (ortho) if it could possibly be a triangular fibrocartilage complex injury. Damaged mine a couple of years ago and it hurt like a bitch. If your wrist tends to "snap" when rotated that may be what this is since it isn't readily visible via X-ray. takes a while to heal completely - mine was immobilized in arm-2-shoulder cast 3 wks, half cast for 2 more, then brace & PT for 2 months. Still tends to twinge a little from time to time. My Ortho decide against surgery, since re-injury often occurs and can heal on it's own if given a chance and not completely shredded. Apparently a pretty common injury when arm is extended to break a fall (Google it).

13. magic-rat

magic-rat Active Member

I'll bet ya a 12-pack your scaphoid is broken. It's very hard to see ... and very hard to heal. Theres only one blood vessel that supplies blood to it. So it takes a lonnngg time.

I had similar 2 years ago.

Crashed. Wasn't too bad. Next couple days ... was REAL bad. Went to ER ... x-rayed ... said no break.

For 41 days I suffered ... I didn't go back to the doctor because they told me it wasn't broken and I didn't want to be a baby.

Well, I finally went back ... to a real Orthopedic clinic. Sure enough ... was broken.

Next 30 days in a whole arm cast from fingertips to shoulder.

Then 30 days more in a fingertips to elbow cast.

... and it still hurts a bit to this day when it rains .... LOL.

14. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I just got my cast on for my break that I got last weekend at Jennings. The doc said that it should be healed in 4.5 weeks. As much as this shit hurts I dont know how in the hell its going to be healed in only 4.5 weeks:wow:

15. magic-rat

magic-rat Active Member

You are prolly young & healthy rather than old and falling apart. LOL.

16. gpstar748

damn i dont want a cast for a month..........i may have to put it off until riding season is over :mad:

17. magic-rat

magic-rat Active Member

Well, if you do that, you won't have to worry about having to have it rebroken ... cause it's in a place that moves a lot and it wont heal. If you have a couple times a day where you do some kind of movement and get an "electric shock" type super-sharp pain ... well that's you re-breaking it.

A word of caution, tho. If it is a scaphoid ...

Because there is only one blood vessel that feeds the scaphoid ... if you hurt that blood vessel ... then the bone could get no nourishment ... and it could die. If that happens ... you are in for MAJOR problems.

If you had any kind of large bruise up your arm (several inches from where the pain is ... like say mid-forearm) ... that's a good indication of blood vessel damage. You bled internally ... and the blood travelled up your arm before making its way to the surface and causing the bruise. That's why it doesn't hurt press in the location of the actual bruise.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  18. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

yeah man... just go to the orthopedist and be done with it. They can look close enough to tell you what it is and you won't have to worry about it.

BTW... if you let the scaphoid die, it is either a case of try to find a donor bone or have the bones fused together. Better to take care of it now than to let it drag out. Believe me.

19. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

You're F'ed

I broke my scafiod, Raduis, and Ulna as well as dislocated all the little wrist bones and ruptured all the tendons in the wrist.

They did a bone graph to rebuild the scafiod, they screwed it together. Ulna got a pin, all the little wrist bones got pinned together until the tendons healed up well enough to hold the bones in place.

Wrist injuries flat out blow. This all happened May 1st. I MIGHT be able to ride/race again by may 1st 2009.

Luckily, I'm an aircraft Mech, so I hardly ever need to use my hands:down:

Go to the Othro and get checked out

20. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

heck, I'd just be happy to be able to wipe my arse with my right hand again:up::crackup: