fuel proof paint?

Discussion in 'General' started by James Greeson, Oct 14, 2002.

1. James Greeson

James Greeson Is the race over yet?

Getting a jump on overhauling the bikes for next year.
    I painted a frame with "chrome" and while I liked the spiffy shiny color, it never really dried right. It would rub off on my hands while handling it and would literally wash off when fuel spilled on it. :(

Anyone recommend a good metallic silver paint that dries hard and is "fuel resistant", preferably that comes in a spray can?

TIA,
    James

2. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

you need to go to a hobby shop that sells radio controlled planes,and stuff and ask them.i use fuel proof paint on my boats and helicopters that comes in a can and can stand up to nitro.

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I did my frame with the PJ1 epoxy paint and clear. The KTM silver looks really good. It's a little more than Krylon, but so far it is holding up pretty well. Chain lube and oil leaks don't seem to bother it.

Just make sure you get the Epoxy clear. They have a lacquer clear that doesn't go well with the epoxy paint.

4. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

The local auto paint shop should be able to mix the paint for you and put it into cans. Other than that try some specialty paints like the PJ1 mentioned above or check the eastwood catalog.