1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer experts, need help please

Discussion in 'General' started by Spicoli, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

I just picked up a 7x16 foot enclosed covenant trailer (thanks Trailers of GA in Canton), and I need to make some wiring modifications to it. I need to put a spare battery (car battery) inside, so that I can have power when it's not hooked up, and then I'd like for it to be set up so that when it is hooked up to my truck, it will recharge the battery. Any of you guys know how to explain how to do this, or where a good forum / site would be to give me some tips? I've done some wiring in my house, so I'm not completely dumb when it comes to wiring, but this is my first trailer, and I've never messed with this kind of stuff before.

Also, all of the existing wiring for the internal and external lights is all tucked behind the plywood walls, so could I just leave that alone, and run separate stuff? I am adding a couple more internal lights anyways, so the one that is already there doesn't necessarily need to be available when it isn't hooked up to my truck.

2. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Might be able to do a solar powered recharging setup. Thought I saw some neat stuff on ebay.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

7 wire connector.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

You need to configure your charge lead to be disconnected when the vehicle is turned off (or remember to unplug the trailer).

<edit> Seriously. If you don't want your tow vehicle sitting with a dead battery do one or the other.

I would leave external lighting alone but move the power source for the internal to the new power supply.

I made a power bus using wood and two bolts for the pos and negative circuits. Cables from the vehicle and the trailer battery connect there, as well as any other loads such as chargers, 12v adapters, lights, and power inverter. Put a circuit breaker or fuse inline on the positive cable on both trailer battery side and the vehicle side. Locate them close to the bus.

A 1kw inverter on a trolling motor battery will run a small fridge for about a day by itself (time depending on variables, of course), or indefinitely as long as the vehicle is running. Run that and the interior lights off the battery, then use the generator to charge the battery, run warmers, etc. during the day. That way you can go overnight without the generator.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  4. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Kurt, you rule, thanks for the answers. Now I just have to go find someone to translate that down to my dumb level. :D

That sounds alot like how I need to run it too. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of how you ran yours, would you? :D Basically I'm going to be using this trailer for a new distribution business, and I will have a printer back there for receipts, and I'll be adding a couple extra internal lights that I'd like to be able to flip on without having to turn on my truck to do so. The trailer will always be disconnected from my truck when not in use, so I wouldn't have to worry about draining my truck battery. Although I expect this set up will cut the life of my truck's battery / alternator by some, no big deal.

I'll check out the site that you linked, hopefully that will help. Oh, and yes it is a 7 pin connector.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I can take some pictures and send them to you.

Are you going to Barber?

6. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Man, I wish. Working way too much right now, plus I gotta get this trailer set up this weekend, to start the new bidness on Monday. But it will give me a heck of a lot more free time in the long run to start visiting the tracks again. :D If you could snap a few pics and shoot them over to me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

jmcfaduofl (at) hotmail.com

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Where are my cookies?????? :Poke:

Get a battery box, battery and mount it. Get a small distrubution/fuse block from an auto supply. Mount it. Wire up the battery to the dist. block. Add wiring, switches, lights, invertors, etc... to new dist. block.

Wiring the battery to charge is a little new to me, but if you need a hand let me know.

Especially if there are cookies involved.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No fair. Nobody offered me cookies, plus I'm not close enough to collect. :mad:

I'll send some pics in a day or two.

9. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Dan, you already know cookies will be part of the equation. And this time around they should have a fresher date on 'em. :D Dan, if you are confident about wiring, I may take you up on that offer, so be careful! :D By the way, what guage wire should I use? 14? 12? Also, do they sell that at the Home Depot, or am I going to have to find some randome trailer parts store and pay 5x as much for it?

Kurt, PM me your addy, and I will be happy to send you some cookies. :D You like Pepp Farm I hope?

10. ChemGuy

I can either help you or sit around in my shorts THINKING about working on my bike this weekend. :D

If all your doing is running regular lights then 12-14 guage should be fine. They may have it at Lowes or HD. If not try Napa or a real Ace Hardware. Napa would probably have some type of fuse block which would make it easier.

Does your inventory/printer system run on 12V or do we need to put in a 120 inverter to power it?

Is tomorrow your last day at "Dunder Miflin"? You gonna tell those fools off when you leave?

11. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Tomorrow is my last day as an accountant!! Although I will still have some tax clients that I just can't let go of. They pay way too good, and "I know too much" ;) about their enterprises, so they've asked me to continue to do their stuff.

As for the printer, damn, I don't know. I will track down all of that information tomorrow, and post back up. Thanks!

12. What are you distributing?

Girls Scout Cookies:Poke: :crackup: :crackup:

13. ChemGuy

Lay off him Mike.

A 16' trailer has plenty of room for 3 bikes plus gear.

If you can get permission from the wifey....... :Poke:

Oh, BTW I think we are still looking for a tech service rep. Since your always bitchin about your work......

14. As much shit as he gives me...I think I owe him plenty of turds back.:D

As for the racing...I think I have figured out a good team name...since you two have been watching your girly figures eating cookies and all....How about

Two in a half men racing? lmmfao

What's the job discription and details? I don't really bitch about the work that I do...it's the two old fooks I have to deal with, and the dumbass's in LA that just cost us a but load of money for a mistake that should not have happened.:p

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  15. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Dayum!! :D I did design the shelving inside to be easily removable. :up: Plus, being able to take off a random Friday / Monday whenever I need to could work out well in the near future. Dan, remember, I've only got until fall for my "two year deal" to be over, and then it's game on. If this venture goes well, I may be able to pick one up a little sooner, and at least hit a few trackdays this year. Now we just have to get Mike back on track too. Speaking of which, how's the new kid doing?

PS - Dan, I found out that I don't need an inverter for the printer. I can run the battery strait into the printer, and it will work fine. At least that's how the current guy has had it set up for the last few years.

16. Thanks for asking:
    Ava Rylee Christensen born 2-28-2008 7lbs 11 oz/ 20 inches long. She just had her two week check up yesterday...she is up to 8lbs 2 oz already. She left the hospital weighing 7lbs 3oz. Girl eats like there is no tomorrow. She is doing well though, already holding her head up and legs are strong. Pretty good set of lungs on her too just let me tell ya.:D Looks identical to her big sister at the same age only looks like she might end up blue eyes and she already has quite a bit of brown hair. Emma had blue eyes for a short time as do most babies but hers changed to brown.

17. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

AWESOME NEWS, Congratulations!!!! I've been wanting to call, but I have been getting home so late, I figured it might not be a good time. Remember, if you need anything man, let me know. We've got a crapload of baby stuff collecting dust in the garage / attic, whatever you need, just let me know. Unfortunately clothes won't work, as we had a boy, and everything either has a football, or a car or a truck on it! :D

18. ChemGuy

Congrats Mike.

J,
    You know you cant give that away as your going to have #2 soon.

:Poke:

19. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Yeah, but thanks to relatives and friends with kids, we have at least 2 of EVERYTHING! :D

So after I pick up the brake controller tomorrow morning, I'll be working on the wiring starting around 10-11. What time will you be there? :D Still waiting on the pics from Kurt too...

20. If you toss in pizza and beer maybe I'll come assist or just stand and watch, maybe pay you with my $.02:D

Yeah my mom has been down for almost a month now so we have had to put her on the "stop buying things already" reminder. I was going to call from the hospital, but I know you work late too so didn't want to interrupt while you were at work. Between being sick while there at the hospital and getting little to no sleep due to nurses coming in...I wasn't able to log onto the BBS or even try.