1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRZ400 or KLR650

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

I bought an '07 KLR back in the Spring. 10k miles so far. I commute 80 miles per day, 50mpg. I have also done quite a bit of off-road with it also. As an ex-woods racer, I can attest to it not being great off-road, but it will get you 'bout anywhere you want to go. Tons of aftermarket goodies available to make it whatever bike you want it to be.
    I have had 'bout 20 different bikes since age 9, and can honestly say this is the most versatile, enjoyable one so far.
    [​IMG]

That's me and my son in the front, out for a ride at Bankhead National Forest.

Oh yeah, they are cheap. I gave $4299 plus tax for mine, new.

2. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Oh yeah, if anybody knows Al Goodwin, that is his bike in the middle.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Well after giving it some thought I think Im going for the KLR, its about the same price (few hundred more) as the others and 4 yrs newer. Plus if it will handle some commuting and some fire roads I think I will be cool with that. Hey Al this is a bone stock 06 model any must haves or things I must do's?

4. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

dohickey and front brake line

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Oh yeah. Mine was broken!

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

7. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

balancer and spring

Attached Files:

8. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

klr

go to the KLR forum, klr650.net
    the dohicky is not a big problem
    if you want to off road it just change the tyres they are not that bad in the woods and they can climb hills well with the weight and torque

9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

looks familiar
    [​IMG]

10. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

+1 for the KLR.

Kawasaki built thes bikes unchanged for 21 years, well...they painted them different colors, and the '07's got a stronger shifter.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, as a commuter and light off-road bike it's hard to beat a KLR. I've gotr an '06 with 16k miles, trouble free miles.

KLR's ain't pefect, soft...very soft suspension, to soft a seat, the carb needs a little figgitting to make smooth(shim the needle and adjust air-screw) easy stuff.

But all this is easily taken care of, HECK, half the fun of a KLR is trying to make it something it was never intended to be.:D

Go and check these sites out.

http://www.klr650.net/

http://klrworld.com/forums/

Excellent aftermarket support also, 21 years of it.:up: :up:

11. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

That's my bike, the red/silver one.:D

12. seven4eight

seven4eight Well-Known Member

I've got a Seca 400 you could throw some knobbies on.......it'd be off the leash

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Call me :D