1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frame sliders? yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by incognito, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

If you guys have access to a lathe, you could also turn a "break-away" groove in the bolt of you frame sliders. Or you could also do this with a hack saw blade. This will give the bolt a place that is just a bit weaker, making it break at that point rather than bending the entire bolt, just like brembo and other brake levers. Just be sure to leave enough bolt to be able to grab onto it after they break... the last thing you want to do is break a bolt off in your motor mount and have to drill it out. Just a suggestion...

2. SMR123

SMR123 Well-Known Member

Clever idea. It will then be there to obsorb the initial impact and break away before damage.

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

just make the sliders stick out only slightly farther than the bodywork...like an inch or less. They will do their job and there will not be enough leverage to break/bend the bolt...and the slider won't be able to dig into the dirt.

BTW...I only use grade 12.9 bolts.

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hopefully the slider doesn't catch anything and does its job of protecting the body, but if the worst happens, which with my luck is always a possibility, the slider breaks away causing a boatload of body damage but no structural damage. I haven't yet tried this but was planning on doing it before I pulled the bike out this year... thought it sounded SOMEWHAT logical.

5. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Looks like I'm ordering woodcrafts.

6. Phoenix1

Phoenix1 Mis-placed Texan

My Motovation no-cuts stick out quite a bit. I think I may just take a hack-saw to them and trim them a little. Anyone try this?

7. tk750s

tk750s Member

i also have motovation no-cuts which do seem to stick out quite a bit. I believe my highside caused my bike to flip, not the sliders.