Anyone in the Greenville SC area?

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveR6, Feb 10, 2008.

1. SteveR6

SteveR6 Well-Known Member

Just curious as I'm considering moving there. The g/f moved down there to work for FlourDaniels and after visiting down there all I can say is WOW it's a hell of alot better than Ohio lol. I couldn't get over how good the street riding is around there, not to mention road atlanta and carolina motorsports park are both relatively close. :rock:

2. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

Dude, I was born and raised there and now live in Atlanta. It's a great place, you'll feel stupid you didn't leave Ohio sooner!

3. SteveR6

I know this, my problem is finding a job down there. I've not made the best decisions school wise so I basically have no marketable skills in anything I care to do. I'm back in school right now for mechanical engineering. I work at a WalMart DC here as a forklift driver and don't make bad money but it sucks. They have a DC down there but it pays like $3 an hour less than here for some reason and I'm not willing to relocate for less money.

4. nebulate

nebulate Well-Known Member

I would, the happiness that sc can bring over ohio is worth those $3 per hour :)

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Cost of living should be less in SC. I know of a few qualified mechanics making $5 less than they would, if they worked up north.
    It's a different way of life though.

6. SteveR6

Cost of living is actually about identical I live in Steubenville which is a recessed steel working community.

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've lived in the Greenville area since June of 1996. I grew up in NY. I'll never go back North even if my salary was doubled. I like riding 12 months out of the year. :up:

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Holy cow! My dad grew up in Steubenville! I haven't met another person on this planet that's from Steubenville! :wow:

Granted when he lived there things were different. he was born in 1929

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

It depends how close to town you want to be. If you're willing to be "out in the country" it is really cheap here. Close to town will be more expensive then where you are.

10. SteveR6

Looks like I need to escalate my job search lol. It's rough because I own a home here that I'll either have to rent or sell.

11. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

There are a couple of us from Greenville or the near area on the BBS.

12. SteveR6

Anyone know where there's decent apartments/houses for rent within earshot of greenville? Preferentially toward the mountains.

13. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

Funny! NO mention of the girlfriend being a motivating factor!

14. SteveR6

Well everyone knows you can't count on women for anything. :beer: If she ends up reading this thread I'm holding you accountable for any ass reaming I receive later. lol No she's obviously a motivating factor, how can you not love a girl that has her own bike and goes to the track with you. But the area really sold itself when I was down there. Honestly I don't think I've met nicer people anywhere and I've been all over the country. I'm just trying to feel out what it's really like from people that have lived there awhile it's always easier to find jobs/housing/etc. from local people. Plus trying to find some people to ride with when I do get there because I will eventually get there. Actually planning to bring the bike down there for the weekend maybe next month if anyone wants to ride or knows any good roads. We went up into Caesars Head state park when I was there last and it was pretty badass I must say. :rock: I knew I was home when I saw people in full leather with rashed up bikes and no blinkers or mirrors lol

15. rubberman

rubberman Well-Known Member

Caesars Head is nothing, there's much better roads in the area with less LEO's. Like everyone else has said, great place to live and you can ride all year long.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I live down just outside of Columbia, but I wouldn't mind moving up near the Travlers rest area. It has a mountain town feel to it.

17. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Greenville and South Carolina in general really is a great place. I live in Atlanta and am trying to move to Charleston. After going to school down there, I love Charleston more than anywhere else I've ever visited. Been to Greenville several times and that place really is cool, also. That would be an easy second choice on my list.

18. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Moved to SC from the Chicago suburbs about 20 years ago.........never moving back. Like 50Joe said, even if you double my salary........no deal.

Not much up in Travelers Rest.........

If you like to eat out, mircobrew, nightlife, minor league baseball/hockey.......Greenville is the place for you.

Stay away from I-585, I-85, Augusta Road, and Woodruff Road.

If you want to stay close to Fluor, you need to consider morning traffic.

What do you do for a living...............Engineers are a dime a dozen here.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's what I like about TR

20. gixxer759

gixxer759 EXPERT #55

I agree with ZOOK I was born in Greenville, grew up in Spartanburg moved back and lived there all of my adult life 'till I moved to Atlanta 7 years ago. I've been to Ohio a few times at all times of the year. Move to Greenville dude! 30 minutes from awesome riding. You can live cheaper there to.:rock: