Looking For 2008 Sponsorship/Financial Help...

Discussion in 'General' started by ChadLewin848, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Hey John,

Don't bust my nuts for asking this, it's a serious question that I don't know the answer to... Of these guys, were they already strong AMA or other world-series contenders beforehand or were some of them club level guys?

What do you recommend to the guy/gal who beleives that money is all that's holding him/her back?

Personally I've seen a couple of people get that chance and they did no better than when they didn't have money. I'm not saying that's Chad's case, just posting my question & observation.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were all either known or unknkown club racers first.

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

so which one is chris:Poke:

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I first helped May when he was a WERA and F-USA guy, at the GNF one year; Barnes was a perennial AMA privateer who kept threatening to retire, he came on to replace injured Haskovec; Haskovec was an AMA privateer and WSMC star I had been watching since he showed up at Willow straight off the plane from Czecho; Jamie was a WERA/CMRA guy; Cory was an AMA privateer I had been watching since he was riding an Aprilia Cup RS250; Stevens was a WERA guy; Hall and Batey were WERA guys; Hopper was a WSMC and CMRRA kid; Spies was a WERA/CMRA kid; Russell was a WERA guy; Stroud was a kid from NZ racing whatever they have over there; Ski was an AFM/WERA guy with some AMA 250 GP experience on his own RS250 Honda.

I pay a lot of attention to lap times over the course of a race, and lap times vs. equipment, plus the ability to not ram other riders on a regular basis. I'd tell a guy to work on being consistent over the course of an entire race distance. I also look at what type of tires they're on, it makes it easier to figure out if they're running the same brand as my team is using at any given moment.

I used to do my looking at possible recruits close up and personal, on the track myself. Now I rely on CU to look at guys on track and report back, in addition to my stats book. We discuss guys all the time.

5. John29

The one who wanted to race. And he is now the resident on-track talent scout. I never would have signed Martin Cardenas, Cory West or Blake Young without his endorsement, which backed up what the stats book said.

6. John29

Many guys think money and/or equipment is the only difference between what they are doing and a life of factory goodness.

It's actually not that simple.

7. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

JU, do you think winning at the club level is better in getting a ride than running at the back of the pack at the AMA level?

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I agree with John............just cause you have tons of money doesnt mean youre gonna get a full ride or win races, it sure doesnt hurt though!
    But in all seriousness you need the talent to back it up

Unfortunately nowadays without your parents or some sort of "sponsor" backing a kid on his way up to the point where people would notice him its fairly impossible for someone to afford it on their own unless they got a nice full time job out of high school or somehow have some money to their name

Most of those kids you mentioned from what Ive read had pretty "supportive" parents

Im far from talking bad about kids parents "supporting" their racing Im just stating a fact...........plus if it wasnt for that I wouldnt have any fast mofos to watch on TV

9. John29

Depends who is watching, and if they know what they're looking at. It looks like that path worked OK for Josh Herrin.

BTW, Josh Herrin is one guy who turned me down when offered a ride, but it's OK because that offer may have helped motivate Yamaha to make him the deal he has now; others include Aaron Yates (at age 19) and Danny Eslick.

These days some guys look at who I sign, then try to head-hunt them. It's easier than going out and watching them yourself at various types of events.

10. John29

Hopkins' dad had died, and his mother was broke when she called me and said they were out of road racing and could only do local motocross unless something happened (something DID happen and the rest is history. May was broke and out of racing unless something happened, etc. Guys have to ride whatever it is they have, you can't fake road racing, as many rich guys with trick bikes have proven. The bike will only do what you tell it to do; equipment only won't get it done.

11. daracing13

daracing13 Well-Known Member

John 29.
    You don't have to defend yourself here, it is well known you have helped a lot of rider over the years. There are many many people who have also done likewise.
    In Europe (as I’m sure you know) it is pretty much unheard of for a team to hire a rider who is not bringing some kind of budget or sponsorship with him.

Things here are a little different but it is certainly heading that way.
    I was offered a ride with 4 different teams for this year all of which wanted me to bring big$$$ with me, don't get me wrong im not saying I deserve any kind of a ride im just saying that it does happen and its a shame that a rider with $$$ is going to be chosen over a rider who is maybe better suited to that position.

On the other hand the AMA paddock is certainly lacking high profile teams and taking $$$ from a rider is maybe the only way a team can survive, we certainly need as many rigs in the paddock as possible, the AMA paddock looks like a club day compared to most national championships through out Europe.

It is well known that road racing in the USA is no where near the level of exposure it could be, this being said it is hard for teams to find outside industry sponsorship, because of this a team has no choice but to count on a rider bringing a rather large budget with him.

I’m not having a go at these team owners as I’m sure most of them are as passionate about racing as the rest of us, I’m just saying its a shame that at this level a rider might miss out on a opportunity just because he doesn’t have big $$$ in the bank.

12. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Seat time is the best way to get faster right? Seat time = $$$$$. Roadracing is worse than a crack habit....but ALMOST better than sex. It takes lots of duckies to have any of the above.....cept the sex

13. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are alot of riders who need to bring money to the table to get onto a team. I've been hearing for years from various riders how much some of the teams want for a spot on one of the better AMA teams, that's life.

It works the same way in most motorsports, I know of quite a few Nascar Bush teams that are funded by the drivers or their families. One of the Formula Atlantic teams that tests here every year informed me it costs $500,000.00 to buy a seat on their team, and they have a proven track record of podium finishes and damn good drivers. They also test multiple drivers, most from overseas or South America, and pick which ones they want driving their cars based upon their test performance and also how they are with the equipment. (if the driver is hard on the gearbox, he isn't going to make the cut etc..) That's just Formula Atlantic, can you imagine what a Cart team or Nascar Busch team gets for a spot?

Until there is some parody in the AMA Superbike class, where more than two or three teams and riders can compete for race wins, mainstream America will not pay attention to the series, at least not enough to bring in more major outside sponsors which will bring the sport to the next level. Until the sport gets to that next level, paid rides, or even free rides on competitive equipment will be few and far between.

Good luck Chad, I know you're a fast racer, hopefully you'll get some help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  14. natedawgee

natedawgee ARNCHU Racing

sponsorhouse

Chad,
    Your sponsorhouse profile says you have "no sponsors".

Is that true?

15. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

New year, probably very true..I helped last year, but I am not in a position to help this year, unless the economy completely tanks which will increase my income.:beer:

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chico's Bail Bonds.

17. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I can get into that business very easily, except for the $2million in land or cash. Already talked to the Sheriff about it (which is required in GA)

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Queer ass sicko!:Puke:

19. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

Thought you sounded familiar, Amber introduced us I think

[​IMG]

20. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

exactly......... it seems like you took it like I was arguing with you

its nearly impossible for a young person to fund the beginning of their career on their own without some sort of help...........