1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006-2007 Yamaha R6 Class Action

Discussion in 'General' started by Shady, Jan 3, 2008.

1. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

They probably had taken the little extenders off that are intended to drag first. Like those long assed ones we had on the RC.

The folding pegs were meant to keep from levering the bike although I do think that has left the design table and they just keep using them because that's the way it's always been on sportbikes.

3. yetidave

yetidave Well-Known Member

Who defines "minor lowside crash"? Is there an industry wide standard definition? I doubt it. I'd be willing to bet that definition would vary wildly from person to person.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If the 'hero blobs' on the pegs were present and unmodified, they would touch first. I'm fairly sure that all Honda bikes are set up this way. Take a look at the 3" long feelers that stick out from the newer models. I'm pretty sure the folding footpeg is an attempt at crash prevention.

Don't get me wrong..I think it's silly to say that a motorcycle is not designed to crash. They just aren't designed to remain damage-free when they crash, because that isn't practical. See the outriggers on the ST1100/ST1300 for examples of built-in crash worthiness. There are more examples...BMW boxer motors have several design features (depending on the model and age) to help survive those heads smacking the ground, including 'crash bars' on some models.

5. (diet)DrThunder

I'm with you...that's why I made a point of saying that I'm not necessarily for a lawsuit, and I added 'maybe' to the statement you quoted. But, that doesn't mean that there is absolutely no validity to the idea that a manufacturer could have some responsibility for such a design issue.

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I highly doubt a lawsuit regarding race accidents will get anywhere in court but as mentioned, the ones with regards to street accidents might at least get Yamaha to wake up.

BTW, what is the deal with the fires? Are the takes splitting and letting out fuel or are they wearing through and then releasing the fuel?

Unrelated but I just received a recall notice from Honda regarding their leaking fuel tanks on the CBR1000RR's. I've had no problems with mine but the issue appears to be a manufacturing defect and not a design flaw.

7. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Before this one gets to "The Best of ... " thread, I nominate these posts as instant classics:
    Carry on ....

8. DaLions

DaLions Shot Calla

Wow, a lot of macho-man negativity here.

If it weren't for owners getting together and complaining, manufacturers would never do anything like recalls, redesigns, etc.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think riding on a motocross track is a little different than the street. But I could be wrong, I haven't ridden a bike in a long time. :)

Now, for enduro-style action, what I said earlier still holds: you don't want to get stranded in the woods because you have a broken foot peg from a low-speed fall.

Why the fixed pegs in roadracing? Because the pit lane is at most 2 miles away.

10. yetidave

Fair enough.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

I didn't say all motorcycles....I said modern sportbikes where the focus is on performance and light weight over durability.

Again, show me one feature of the R6 that you can point to and say "that is there in case you crash."

People want it all. We want 350lb 600cc motorcycles that crash like 450lb CBR600F2's. Ain't gonna happen.

I want a tire that has the grip of a qualifier and lasts half a season.

12. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

A racer starting a class action lawsuit against a mfg is a horrible idea. If you care anything about the sport, you'll drop this thinking immediately. I realize it was a borrowed bike and that you had to buy the person who owned the bike a replacement, but it was not Yamaha's fault that you crashed at high speed. It is that kind of thinking that has made everything about our sport so damn expensive in the first place.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You guys are probably right. I would assume the rider removed them, since it was a trackday. They were the first things to go on my RC51.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

:stupid:

15. yetidave

Getting together and complaining is one thing, filing a bullshit lawsuit is something else entirely.
    Here's an idea, if you are aware that a particular bike is prone to bursting into flames when crashed, don't buy it.

16. (diet)DrThunder

I always thought that those black thick plastic frame insert things on the 03-05 R6 were crash protection for the frame...no? If not, I would have thought they'd be thin ABS like the rest of the bodywork.

In any case, nobody is saying that an R6 should crash like an F2...I don't think it would add any weight to reshape the tank on an R6 so that it wasn't prone to grinding through.

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Unless of course, his bike burst into flames because the tank got a hole in it and sparks from the skid ignited the fuel left in it.. :D

18. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Shady was one of the very first to have it happen, IIRC. He wasn't aware that the bike was prone to catching fire in a crash.

I agree, a lawsuit of any description is a bad idea. If industry reps spoke to Yamaha at, say, the Dealer Show in Indy, might that get some attention, if Yamaha doesn't already know?

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm not saying that I agree with the lawsuit, but what you just suggested is 20/20 hindsight - no one knew that model would burst into flames when crashed until it happened... Then it happened again, then it happened again... (supposedly)

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, my next item is windscreens. I haven't examined one in a long time, but don't they still make them pretty thick, thicker than anything you can buy aftermarket?

Anyway, my point is not that they are designed to be crashed. And by the way, neither are cars. They are designed to drive people around and are expected to perform certain way in case of a crash. It may sound like a subtle difference, but it's significant.

Same with the bike: it's not designed to be crashed, but it is expected to be dropped at some point. The difference is that there is no mandated standard for how it should perform in a crash. So the manufacturer is free to put in as much or as little crash protection as it wants. But to say that they don't expect the bikes to be crashed is a little naïve, in my opinion.