1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Racers......all talk but no action!

Discussion in 'General' started by brknbnz, Aug 5, 2002.

1. brknbnz

brknbnz Member

Only a few short days before Papa Thiam was injured @ Summit Point he offered me his new ex Valvoline GSXR to use as an added incentive to convince me to start racing again, thinking that the idea of trashing my own, rather expensive machine, was keeping me away from competing. I haven't held a racing license for well over 10 years, limiting my riding to the track days that being Director of Reduc Sportbike Association have entitled me to, but Papa seemed to believe that even though I past my 40th birthday almost 2 years before Reduc was founded in 1992 (and my son is several years older than Papa!), that I'd be extremely competitive in Formula 40. None of my reasons made much sense to him, but only having to make sense to me, I refused his most generous offer. But after this past weekend @ Summit Point, I found a new reason not to feel very comfortable being a part of the racing community that I have considered myself a part of for 25 years, for Wera Roadracers have caused me to be embarrassed to be a part of this sport.
    During the past 8 weeks since Papa was injured, this bulletin board has been overflowing with posts (over 500 of the 27,000 readers that read about Papa posted) offering prayers, help. and best wishes for Papa and Lisa, in addition to those using his injuries to illustrate the need for more airfencing. But when Pat O'Hara stood up at the riders meeting on Saturday morning and made a plea for financial assistance from the hundreds of riders attending the Wera National, a whopping $55. was raised. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Two weeks earlier, at a Reduc Trackday Event at the same facility, the 100 attendees came up with several thousand dollars, but you racers, arriving at the track on a hot and sunny summer day armed with $400. rain tyres mounted on spare wheelsets, jugs of $5. (+) per gallon race fuel in order to get 2 extra horsepwer that you probably don't need anyway in your Superstock motors, and trailers filled with thousands of dollars of equipment needed to allow you to play on the racetrack, could only spare $55, fucking dollars!? Again, you should all be embarrassed and ashamed, for Papa doesn't need your prayers, your best wishes, or a damned airfence; he needs money until he can begin to make a living to support the astronomical expenses required to just keep him alive and functional. So if any of you have any sense of pride, conscience, and decency.......keep your prayers and your airfence, but send your cheques payable directly to Papa (Thiam) to P.O. Box 1180, Forked River, NJ., 08731-6180
    An obviously very angry and frustrated friend.........

ps......to those of you have given your time and financial assistance, this was obviously not meant for you

2. Blonde Ambition Racer

Blonde Ambition Racer Well-Known Member

I was not at Summit to witness last weekends events, nor have heard anything about the events of last weekend.
    I applaud your post.

However.....everyone that races (or participates in any "risky" hobby) SHOULD make preparations beforehand regarding what could potentially happen if he/she experiences something similar to what happened to Papa.
    Does everyone have enough health insurance?
    Does everyone have enough, or any, disability insurance?
    Does everyone have enough, or any, life or AD&D insurance?

Hell, for that matter, how many of us are prepared for ANY sort of accident that should occur, with such tragic results?
    Is it fair to our families to have to take on all/most of the financial & emotional burden themselves, if WE have not prepared for it?

I'm assuming that Papa had these things in effect while he was racing.

I have crashed twice while racing, luckily nothing major.

I was laid off in June for a few weeks. I have a short-term health insurance plan. I have an AD&D insurance plan. I found a job with another company, but I won't have any disability insurance for a few more months. I won't be racing or doing any track days until October, when my disability insurance is in effect.

How many racers out there might be "flirting with disaster"? Is it really worth the risk?

3. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

You know, I would say I am embarrassed, but I think maybe the type of help you are requesting may be better requested from the Clayton Memorial Foundation, etc.

My girlfriend Renate and I have donated to the Air Fence BEFORE this happened, and we will continue as money allows. We ALSO donated to the Clayton Memorial Foundation with PAPA in mind as their “Pit Daddy” fund raiser looks to be a very successful format. Have you called them or anyone else?

Lastly, was there a program printed out and handed out at the gate to make sure the racers are aware of what the fund was for? I have always seen the “booth” at many races that have the defacto “fund raising can of the day”. Racers are numb to this. Sounds wrong, but I think you have to take that into account. Having someone “hawking donations” at registration (where the checkbooks and wallets are already whipped out :D) may be more effective. At a TWS air fence fund-raiser in March, there was a “dollar for dollar” match for Air Fence fund donations, and this brought some extra enthusiasm to the event.

I personally HATE to see racers given cash directly in times like these. With stress and duress the rule rather than the exception…

1) Medical Bills - Giving injured racers money that goes to the doctor/hospital is a waste of money. In the several accidents I have been involved in, the amount of money that it would take to cover the expenses is so freakin’ expensive that the money that could be raised would effectively be like a mosquito trying to put out a fire by pissing on it.

Racers are best advised TO NOT PAY ANY BILLS until it becomes a, "Pay or No Treatment" situation. Many times the hospital/doctor will find an agency to assist the racer so that they can get a paid. After the initial treatment, a racer will pay 25.00 (or whatever you want to pay) a month for the rest of their life for what is not covered by insurance, agencies, etc.

2) The real help should be for the family. Travel, lodging, and meals for those that have to leave work to support their loved ones. There is no assistance for them in most cases.

I am disappointed for you in the 55.00 no matter what, and I can’t believe it after reading it. THAT IS NOT WHAT RACERS ARE ABOUT.

It might be good to get some other thoughts and experiences on this…

Marcus McBain

4. brknbnz

brknbnz Member

Although everyone should be aware of the risks, and be prepared for the worst, the expenses that accompany Papa's injuries are unimaginable, for they continue for the rest of your life. Papa was an incredably responsable young man (far more responsable than most) but insurance companies don't always make it easy when they're looking at a large financial loss, and fighting them from a hospital bed in Papa's condition is.......well, pretty damned difficult.

5. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Strap yer'selves boys, we're goin' on a guilt trip... :rolleyes:

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A couple of things:
    1) Will you be at VIR? Pocono for FUSA? I'd rather discuss my reservations in person, rather then to appear to flame you on a BBS. A lot of people still feel burned from the Goddard incident, me being one.
    2) A name to put with your post would help put many at ease.

Dave K

7. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

Do you think just MAYBE some of those that just happened to have a dime left in their pocket after the weekend possibly gave it to the gentleman that was offering stickers Re: Papa and donated directly to the Papa fund instead OR to Steve C. w/ the TSR, or how about those who help out in different ways because of lack of extra cash (ex. transporting furniture and offereing help in whatever extent they could, volunteering to help setup the airfence, etc.) Be careful who you criticize, if everyone had the extra money, everyone would donate, if you dont have it, you do what you can when you can. Yes, I agree $55 is not much at all, but it is $55 more than were in the funds before anyone got there. I am VERY VERY appreciative for the airfence and will donate when I can, but I take offense to people who banter about noone else donating as much as he/she thought they should have.
    Just my 2 cents, and it was free!!!

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Suspect Pat O'Hara = gentleman with stickers...

9. Mark@RCMS

Mark@RCMS Well-Known Member

Brknbnz,

I believe in this instance you are incorrect in your posting, and I do hope that what you had to say was more emotion based upon your relationship to Papa, than to clear thinking.

As stated in your post, the request for $$ was asked for during the riders meeting. Most racers I know (which is quite a few) do not carry cash to the riders meeting. Most racers seem to have trouble finding the time to attend the meeting, let alone bring money. On top of that, since ALL riders meetings are held between practice and racing (what some people refer to as "lunch") there is a ton of shit going on in that "hour"...

Tire changes
    Suspension adjustments
    New this, that, or the other thing...

Most CLUB RACERS are strapped for cash as it is, so $5 here, or $20 there is a bit, especially if you don't have your wallet on you when the money is requested.

I believe if your intent is to bring to light the MASSIVE amount of money needed/required following an accident like this, you would be better suited to approach your audience in a totally different way.

It is tough for racers to be reminded of what could happen to them, especially right before they are about to go out on the track...even more so when it is the same course that the incident occurred.

EVERYBODY I have spoken to has expressed concern and well wishes for Papa. Not everybody has the means, or the where-with-all to buck up and give monetary contribution.

There are existing riders funds that have been in place that do help injured riders, but as previously stated, those funds can only do so much...and go so far.

Many people may have already contibuted their money and/or time to assisting Papa with everything they had available at the time.

Please try to redirect your efforts and passion for helping Papa in a different manner, for there I feel it would be better suited.

Mark Deery

10. Pitlizard

Pitlizard Well-Known Member

Ok, I really shouldn't be posting here because I'm gonna ruffle feathers - but being white trash - here goes....

I wish I could tell you the amount of support Papa and I have gotten. We have had a little something come from all over the U.S. and even some from overseas.

Papa had health insurance, life insurance and long term disability - so he is not some idiot who wanted to "play" on a motorcycle without having his butt covered. Apparently his long term disability he opted to have it at 30% of his salary. And that was enough to cover his rent, utilities, groceries, etc. in the event that he crashed. Then there came along some woman and her child to join his family. That made the 30% not so feasible. He was probably less than a week away from changing the 30% to cover all of us in the event of an accident. Shit happens, and luck was not on our side. It happened before he had that chance. He's not bitter, I'm not bitter and we have never and will NEVER ask for monetary support from anyone. We have both been independent and having to be off work for so long is killing us. And while we appreciate the monetary support - we are not beggars looking for funds. We fully intend to support ourselves. I could be working now - I just choose to stay by his side and learn what I need to do to take him home and take GOOD care of him. It was my choice. Nobody else's. So, I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me or Papa. I've read some of the plights for $$$, and I feel like it makes me out to be some sad, single mother who can't take care of herself. I can, and I take damn good care of my son, too. So please don't think Papa and I have anything to do with these fundraisers. It was all out of kindness from people we consider TRUE friends. Their reaction is because they feel helpless and want to do anything they can for Papa.

I can honestly tell you that I can't say who has given money, and who hasn't - but I can tell you who was here helping me move, who was in Cincinnati helping pack my stuff and transporting for me (even though they don't know me) and I can tell you who has taken care of my son for me and who has brought Papa food, and who has sent cards, toys, stuffed hamsters that dance with numchucks that make me smile every time it's played, and gag gifts to the hospital - I can tell you about all the pictures we have on the hospital walls and can tell you who sent them or posted them - and most of all I know who those people are who visit every week or call me to check on me and let me vent, or those who keep me company on IM late at night. Those are the things I remember. I can not speak for Papa - but I have never had such faith in fellow man as I have since this has happened to Papa.

Bobby, I understand you being upset - I know you want to do all that you can for Papa. But I'd much rather have visits and people to take my son to a movie or to Dave and Busters or to the park to play wiffle ball or out to ride on his PW80. I'd rather have e-mail's from people who have stories about Papa. Funny or touching. I love this man so much and I want to know everything I can about him and his friends. I just want people to still treat him the same and to still e-mail him and stop by and visit the apartment when they're in the area. Don't forget about the wonderful man he is and how brilliant his mind is.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us emotionally through all of this. I'm sitting here crying because I know I'm not saying this tactfully enough - but God you people have been wonderful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Lisa

11. brknbnz

brknbnz Member

Mark......
    I'm sure that Pat explained where he was pitted during the day (he raced the 6 hour) so those of "the most racers you know who don't bring cash to the riders meeting" could have found him if they made it a point to do so. If he had been in possession of a part they needed to compete, they would have found him.
    Telling me how "most racers are strapped for cash" is a cop out. People who are strapped for cash do not race; racing is an expensive sport. I don't expect everyone to shell out hundreds of dollars each to help a fallen rider, but $55, from hundreds of entries translates to about a quarter per entry........please don't try to tell me that the average club racer can only afford a quarter. That's damned pityful. I've been going to races for 25 years and the amount of money spent on trying to go faster has never ceased to amaze me, even in lousy economic times. Otherwise, you certainly wouldn't be attempting to earn a living marketing a racetrack to racers.
    If you can come up with a better way of helping Papa, give me call, because the racing community seems better at coming up with excuses than with real help.

12. cincykid

Does your shoe really taste that good or are you just that hungry?

13. brknbnz

brknbnz Member

I'm hungry for help for my friend, and if you're offended by that, I guess you and I will never be friends ....... Oh well.

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I cant believe this, I was there at Summit and no I did not donate money cause I had allready donated to the Marc program...Also I have to agree with Cincykid on this one. I got back with a few bucks and was able to barely skim by the weekend on what I had not to mention I had to CHARGE my tires on the credit card.......:mad:

As far as strapped for cash why dont you come race my program going as far as you can on a set of tires, sleeping in the truck to save one nights hotel, running an old piston when you know its getting close to disaster, etc...I dont have sponsors and I too was hurt last year.....

So where is an address for Papa so we cheap bastard racers can send some money to.....I am sure more would like to help out but sometimes at the track I tend to hold on to my cash to make shure I can get through the weekend.....

I never met Papa but that doesnt matter, I wish him well and his family too...I dont mind helping out a fellow racer anytime but sometimes timming is everything and this weekend was not....Feel free to PM me with the address or post it in this thread.

Chuck D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2002
  15. cincykid

BRKNBNZ,
    I think there are 2 kinds of people. Those who say "Thank You" and those who say "Give me More". We all wish for the same thing, we just go about it different ways my friend. Take care.

16. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

How much have you donated??

17. CincyFriend

CincyFriend Active Member

actions speak louder than words

Knowing Lisa for the time that I have, I hear the same thing from her over and over . . .actions speak louder than words.
    Please understand, the money is vitally important to the situation she and Papa have found themselves in but it is not the only thing and it is definitely not the most important thing. Thanks to documents/policies reflective of the Hippocratic Oath and that most states have Patient’s Rights Laws, a patient or resident can not be denied appropriate care on the basis of source of payment. Just as Renaissance man stated, after the initial treatment, a racer will pay 25.00 a month for the rest of their life for what is not covered by insurance, agencies, etc. As long as a minimum is being paid they can not with hold treatment or turn your accounts over to collection agencies.

I have sat back quietly and watched many members of the BBS post offers of help to Lisa and Papa and many of them have acted on their offers. WERA, Sclark, JLG, CincyKid and anyone else that may have assited in the transfer of Lisa’s stuff from Cincinnati . . .thank you. I spent just over three weeks trying to find a co-pilot to bring Lisa her stuff and had no luck. Without you guys she still wouldn’t have her belongings. In times of stress it is most comforting having those items around you that are familiar. As a friend of Lisa’s, I personally thank those that gave of themselves in their actions and not just monetary.

Lara

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

brknbnz,
    I understand your frustration but I don't think your efforts were well advertised (MHO). I know the National racers either by face or by name but I didn't know the fellow that spoke at the riders meeting. I never heard that he was at the Reduc tent and I'm terrible with names. I found you because George Mood stopped by my pit and I asked him who you were and how to find you. Turns out you were right beside me on the hot pit wall! Thanks for the T-shirt and stickers and best of luck in raising more money for such a worthy cause.

19. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

The first year I started the TSR Injury Fund, I went on an all out Media Blitz hitting email lists, BBS's, RRW, and Rider's Meetings. It did raise awareness, and through endless barrages, managed to get donations. But I noticed that for as many people that came up to say thanks, twice as many walked away as they were afraid I was going to "hit them up". (You know, like your 'friends' who sell Amway.)

During that time, the Wegman Fund reinstated itself, the MARRC Fund changed to the Injured Member Fund, and John started the Air Fence Fund. Also, the Clayton Foundation is there, but I think they're more dirt based, plus there's Hot Shoe, and there's Abate, and 15 other motorcycle based charities.

The problem is that there are too many, and people(especially racers) can't keep up. Bob, I appreciate that you started another fund, and I tried to get you(Redduc) to not do it, but you see that by doing so, it cuts the pie really thin. I didn't come right out and say it, but I did try to offer you the alternative of sending donations to the TSR Fund.

Sensing that the pie is limited, last Winter, I even contacted the Wegman people, and asked them to join forces. I didn't feel that there needed to be "competition". I offered to become the East Coast Wegman Branch. They said they would get back to me, but guess they really have no interest at this point.

So, for now, I'm keep the steady course, but I'm not too worried about preaching fire and brimstone to the masses. The fund is there, so people will donate when it is suitable for them. I'll be there when it matters most.

So, I'm sorry that Redduc feels offended at the situation, and I know how much you and the other members care about Papa, but you can't do things like this, as it only drives people further away, and detracts from the good things that you have accomplished.

I have a winter fund raiser that I'd like to do, and would love to have Redduc members participate, along with WERA, CCS, FUSA, AMA, and the general public. Stick around and we'll do some good, don't you worry.

Steve Clark
    TSR Injury Fund
    TightSqueezeRacing.org

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

brknbnz,

I have never met Papa but after reading a lot about his accident on the BBS, and other trajedies recently (porn star, Martin McConnell in Atl., etc.) I felt that it was the right thing to do (donate some cash). I was pretty strapped this past weekend, but since I was able to crash in one of the 29 dreams guys hotel rooms, I had some extra. I found you just before the start of the race and we talked for a few minutes about racing and how the bathroom is the most dangerous spot for injuries. I gave you $10 because that's what I had in my wallet and would leave me a bit for food and the trip home...

I have donated to the air fence fund (intrepid cafe racers) and try to do any kind of extra stuff I can when I have time (volunteered at the local nature center last weekend for a butterfly festival).

I am sure that people out there do what they can. Hopefully. I would like to be able to send more money to the TSR fund as they seem to really have their act together (not saying you don't but in this case, it would seem that experience would be a great benefit).

Anyway, sorry for the low turnout for donations at the track. Most racers are on some sort of budget but with a bit more prep, you could probably get a bit more money. I just got lucky that you were pitted next to us (I was pitted w/ the 29 dreams guys)...

Jeff Adams