race railz for a track bike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by russomf, Mar 16, 2007.

1. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

anyone use these and if so what kind of feedback do you have. crashing is a part of trackdays and racing and i want to protect my investment as much as possible. keep hearing horror stories about fram sliders so wanted to try something more robust. any feedback and info is appreciated.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Honestly, not an option. From the design of some of the rails, you could potentially catch your foot inside and rip it off in the event of a crash. Also you could catch another competitors footpegs and such in one.

3. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I totally agree Hyperdune, thats why I took mine off of my bike when I bought it.

4. Moto.

Moto. Le' Moto

i think they are crap :D

5. russomf

thanks for the info,. they claim wera approval on the website but i could not find and info when i searched here.
    Ok then suggestions for frame sliders for a 05 636?

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The AFM just voted them down. They basically are one more leg and arm breaker. If you are worried about your investment don't ride it on the track, cause the only investment a race bike is, is an investment in fun. Otherwise it's a black hole that sucks money out of your pocket while you are sleeping.

7. russomf

i know they are money pits but why not pay $20-30 more for better protection than a frame slider provides if that was the case. i would love to have case covers with sliders but do not have that kind of money right now so i thought this would be the next best thing but i guess not.

so again any suggestions for frame sliders for an 05 636?

8. nelly250

nelly250 Active Member

+1

9. Bikoman

Bikoman Active Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  10. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

We've got Woodcraft. They work.

11. xxdcmast

xxdcmast Well-Known Member

I think with a little more engineering they could be pretty good. Imagine that rather than simply a piece of round bar metal you had a shaped delrin, ABS, etc piece that attached the same way but was formed to fit the exact shape of the area behind it so that no toe/foot/shifter could get in there. Now also imagine that the front of it was shaped with a curve so that objects would have attendency to slide off of it rather than get stuck

I think that could work.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why not just surround the bike in solid STEEL!!

Bikes fall...things break...done...finished...deal with it.

13. xxdcmast

xxdcmast Well-Known Member

Ok so by that logic why not surround your body in STEEL!!

People crash...bones break...done...finished...deal with it???? No need for gear.

I think we all understand that things break while racing but if I have the choice to protect something of mine you better believe I will.

14. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

as I have been told plenty of times and I have told others............if you cant afford to wreck it, dont race it.......a race bike is FAR from an investment

race rails are a potential hazard IMO..........they also seem like they could easily twist your frame if hit hard enough
    the only thing they might help out better with is a VERY minor lowside, even then a decent frame slider will do the same.....they wont help any better if you highside
    save your money and invest in case covers......

15. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

comparing your bike to your body is ridiculous btw

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

+1

Basically anything you put around the existing bike to "protect" it will reduce ground cleareance which might make it so you use that product sooner. Self fullfilled prophecy.

17. Alwayslast179

Alwayslast179 Well-Known Member

+1

that's right, only the wealthy should go to the race track?:up:

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I never thought of a race bike as an investment. I always thought racing was an obsession. :D

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've got the PP tuning model that swaps out to a tie down point. Seems to work well for both jobs. I like the tie down point on the sides and the slider works well too.

20. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

I have used Both race rails and regular frame sliders in while racing and have found that the sliders are what you should choose preferably the type which has a shorter mushroom shaped head which helps prevent a catch and flip. The race rails offered unbeatable protection in moderate to slow lowsides however in a faster crash they will break your motor mount ears right off the frame. Go with the sliders and forget about it cause worrying bout the damage to your bike from crashing will only make you slower : )