1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i have to buy shingles in advance?

Discussion in 'General' started by jigmoore, Jun 9, 2007.

1. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

my uncle is coming out from new york to visit. and while he's here, he's gonna help me put on new shingles.

i can do little more than identify what a shingle is.....barely.

do stores just stock these? do i have to order them? do they go on sale? do they deliver.....to my roof?

2. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

When I did roofing back in high school, I don't recall ever having to order shingles, we just went to the hardware store and picked them up. I would think that if you wanted something out of the ordinary ie color, they wouldn't keep it in stock. Most stores like Lowes and Home Depot will deliver for a fee. Last time I had it done Lowes was $35.

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

matters where you live and time of year.
    The depot and lowes carry 6 in stock generally, 3 colors of architectural and 3 3-tab of 3 tab.
    If you want a special color or style then yes you have to order in advance.
    If you plan on having a roof top delivery they you'll probably have order in advance as well..

4. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

you think order time is days or weeks?

5. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Don't know about your lead time, but if you are ordering a colored shingle you should request that they all have the same lot number. It's also a good idea to buy a few extra bundles should you have to make any minor repairs down the road.

6. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

You might want to ping Shingle Monkey on here...he's been helpful in the past.

7. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

Most roofing supply houses will need 2 to 4days advance order to have the shingles delivered.

Most supply houses will have all normal colors and types instock.

The ideal situation is that the shingles are delivered roof top the day you start the work, that way your not killing your self by carrying shingles up a ladder.

You can go to some place like home depot and get shingles, but you will either have to have a trailer to haul them in or they will do what is called a ground drop for delivery...no roof top.

Let me do some research to see what supply houses are in your area.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  8. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Are you nailing over the old shingles or you tearing off the old ones?

Do you know how many you will need? Have you measured the roof?

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

This cat knows whats up.

THERE IS NO FUTURE IN CARRYING BUNDLES OF SHINGLES UP A LADDER.:tut:

You have to have a roofing license and account to buy from supply house here, but You may get lucky.:up:

10. Shingle Monkey

Grand Rapids Store - ABC Supply #015

2601 S Division Ave
    Grand Rapids, MI 49507
    616-241-4848
    Fax: 616-241-5595

Manager: Thomas Whitcomb

ABC supply carries quality material.

Certainteed makes quality material, ELK, GAF would round out my top 3 of quality of product and customer support.

Shingles dont go on sale

11. Shingle Monkey

Flordia has the toughest contrators laws in the whole US....but anyone can go to home depot and buy shingles...even contractorsfrom Indiana :)

12. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Jig, the Monkey knows his shit. :up:

13. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Where do the builders in your area buy their materials? Almost any material supply company that does a large business with professional builders will carry a large stock of the most popular shingles that are being used in your area. I'm not necessarily talking about Lowe's and Home Depot. It seems that as those companies have built the mega stores that they now cater more towards weekend warriors and do-it-your-selfers, but that's not true everywhere.

I can alsmost guarantee that there is more than one supplier in your area that will have what you want and not need to order it. The benefit to this is that you don't need to over order becuase you can always go back for two or three more bundles if you run short. It's also a good idea to keep a bundle or two just in case you happen to lose a shingle or two in a storm or have some other kind of unexpected damage. All supply companies know to sell you shingles from the same lot number. That really shouldn't be something you should have to tell them. You can easily check this by just looking at the side of the packages when they send them out. They will be clearly stamped and it'll be easy to see if any bundles are different.

The downside is that they won't put them on the roof for you. It's tough work to tote bundle after bundle of shingles up a ladder to the roof; especially if it's two stories up. You might want to check into renting a material lift (also called a laddervator). It's basically a ladder with a hoistable platform attached to it that will raise the bundles of shingles using a winch and small engine.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep but HD doesnt do rooftop deliveries.:D

15. Shingle Monkey

JRA thats why the ABC supply number was given, they will lift them to the peak for you. You will have to take them off the palet and stack them on the roof.

We have 3 supply houses here in Indy that will stock the shingles on the roof for you.....nice service for 1.00 per bundle.

16. Shingle Monkey

true dat

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

After loading a 2 story by myself, I would pay $5 a bundle for setting them on the peak.

18. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

That would be a nice service to have here in East Tennessee. Nobody will will do that, not even ABC. My guess is liability concerns, but I could be wrong :) . I guess I shouldn't have assumed that everywhere else was the same as here.

19. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

hell yeah you can.
    and actually
    the depot here in gainesville has shingle 15% off at the moment.....

Most common delivery for the Depot and Lowes is what Monkey said, they'll come on a semi and they'll just plop them in your drive way.
    But there is a roof top delivery service that they offer, obviously its more expensive and sometimes takes more time. Really matters on where you are.
    They should keep the order from the same factory and same batch as thats the common sense approach, but having worked at the depot with shingles, i know that when a customer orders shingles and we have to load them up that we grab a pallet and just toss the same color on there
    I would hit up the guy that Monkey suggested as they'll probably have a smoother service than the depot.

20. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

Hey Jig...we're right in the middle of doing our roof. Make sure you use sunscreen if you're up there without a shirt on :eek: