1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Ohlins shock

Discussion in 'Tech' started by metricdevilmoto, Apr 11, 2007.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I just purchased a shock for an 02 ZX6R that was used on a Kawasaki Canada supported bike. Or so I was told ...

Anyway, the guy I bought it from bought it in a lot of parts and I bought it from him for next to nothing. I've got a few days to wait until it gets here (it's in a UPS box and on the way as we speak) but I was wondering if anyone could help me out in identifying what particular features the shock has.

Here's the pic he sent me.

[​IMG]

Based on what I can tell from a few different web sites (and by looking at the knobs) it looks like it might be a 46PRCS. it might be, but I'm not sure. I really don't have any experience with Ohlins components.

It looks like you dial in pre-load by turning the collar with a spanner wrench, not with the dial on the remote reservior. If so, what is the remote reservior for? Is the black dial near the base of the shock for compression dampening? Is there high speed and low speed adjustments?

Will it say on it what it is?

If anyone could help out, it would be apprecieated. If I can find out what it is, I can download the manual, which will help me out a lot. Thanks.

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The knob attached to the hose is for preload, the knob on the res. is for compression and the dial on the shaft below the sprin is rebound. There is no seperate hi/lo speed on this shock

3. metricdevilmoto

Thanks for the info!

So you set your preload with the threaded collar and fine tune it with the knob on the remote reservior?

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah that is pretty much it. The collar is for installed preload.

5. backbone

backbone scarred for life

the #'s are on the top of the shock.

6. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Advice - Get it professionally serviced. I bought a used one from someone that said it had been recently service. It hadn't, and the remote preload adjuster didn't work at all. I got a ridiculously good deal on ($350?) so I didn't mind spending an additional $125 to have Traxxion rebuild it. Now it works perfectly.

7. metricdevilmoto

It's in transit now, but it's supposed to be here on Monday. I'll take a look at the numbers when it gets here. If anything isn't in working order, I'll send it out to Traxxion.

I stole it for next to nothing. Another $125 into it would be fine with me.

8. DaLions

DaLions Shot Calla

Don't be surprised if the hydraulic preload adjuster doesn't seem to do much. You'll have to twist it like 50 times before seeing any noticeable difference. Most people don't even use it, they just set the threaded collars according to their weight, and leave it there.

9. DaLions

DaLions Shot Calla

By the way you should check the spring rate to make sure it's really suitable for your weight.

10. metricdevilmoto

I heard/read that about the remote pre-load adjuster. One of my buddies has one of last year's Arclight Zooks and it has an Ohlins shock with the remote pre-load adjuster. He said the same thing. Set the pre-load with the collar and use the remote dial for very fine tuning.

And I ordered the right spring for my weight. Should be here the same time as the shock.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Mine works good.

12. metricdevilmoto

Thanks to everyone who offered up some info for me thus far.

Now I've got another question. The external pre-load adjuster actually seems to work pretty well. Look like I have about 10mm of travel, and the knob is pretty responsive.

Here's my question. I've got the shock on the bike (didn't touch the preload or any of the other settings) and I want to at least get my sag numbers in the general area before I take it down to my suspension guy. It is just me, or is it nearly impossible to turn the preload collar with the shock on the bike? I have to take off the external adjuster and wrap the cord around for every revolution.

Is there an easier way to do this, or do I have to take the shock off the bike and do it? (Measure the sag, take it off, adjust sag, put pack on bike, ect ...)

Plus, it's a tight fit to get a spanner wrench in there. In fact, it's impossible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help!

13. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

I believe you will only use the collar to set intial spring preload when you first install the spring. This is usually 10-12 mm compressed (i believe), then use the remote adjuster when installed on the bike.

14. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The remote adjuster is what you use. If you can't get it set then either the spring is wrong or the installed pre-load is not right.

15. metricdevilmoto

OK, this is making a lot more sense now. Looks like I have to take the shock off and verify that the installed preload is in that range.

As always, thanks.