1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 diesel problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by chipnalong, Apr 3, 2007.

1. chipnalong

chipnalong Well-Known Member

all right i have to buy the extended warranty now or not . so the ? is whos had problems with their trucks motor or trans ? warranty is 2400$ opinions please . i also put an average of 32000 miles a year so its only going to cover me for 2.5years.

2. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

we've got an 05 F350 PSD that just had an oil pump go out on the way to Roebling. I think we were over the milage, but they covered it under warranty.

3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

you were out of warrenty - there is 100K on that truck for engine warrenty

i have an 03 6.0, and it has never needed work, which is good because it is out of warrenty. BUT diesels camn break at any time like any car , however the breaks usually cost quite a bit more. something like the HPOP mentioned above would cost quite abit to pay out of pocket. i would check to make sure the tranny is covered under this warrenty, because they are sometimes covered seperatly than the engine (like with fords). my step dad lost all injectors in his 6.0 because of a bad filter, that starved the system, the pump also went in that - that would be quite an expensive fix. ya never know.

4. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

The HPOP went out in our truck recently... ~135k miles... the rest of it runs like a top!

My question to the all knowing WERA BBS.....

Ford PSD with manual trannies..... Anyone have issues with those?

I'm looking to get another diesel, but I want a manual tranny as they don't go out as often as auto trannies... in theory... but I'm looking for more specific experiences with Ford manuals.

5. nc_mx_kid

nc_mx_kid Well-Known Member

Id go w/ spending the money on the warranty to cover yourself in the event of something going wrong

6. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

Check for warranties outside of Ford, there can be a BIG difference in price for the same coverages. Sometimes you can save more than half or more.

7. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

Buy an old diesel truck or car (I just bought two more this week) and take the money that you save on car/truck payments put it in an interest bearing account and only use it when you have to make repairs....

... or at least that's the way I do it.

Dawn :up:

8. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

The ford manuals with the Dual mass flywheels have sometimes had problems, but buy a southbend assembly for 800 and forget about it, but generally they are bulletproof, i would rather buy a new clutch any day then a new auto trans or have to buy a BTS tranny

9. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Notice how I said earlier that we just bought another two diesels this week....

Our daughter has been in TX this past week and Paul just went to pick her up in our new diesel (Mercedes 300SD), but there's no plates on it yet. The phone rings...

"Mom, we're going to be a little late in getting home. We've just been pulled over by the police." :crackup:

I TOLD him it wasn't a good idea.

Dawn :D

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

"Big" trucks come with big warranties. We have 500,000 mile warranty on the engine. 300,000 on the trans and the rest of the drivetrain. I think an extended warranty would be pricey.

What's standard on the larger pick-ups?

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

100,000 on the engine or 5 yrs seems to be the norm, 60K on a tranny (or as in the earlier 6.0 36K) some are 100K for both engine and tranny i think.

12. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

$2400 is a lot of coin for 2.5 yrs.

Remember, extended warranties are sold on the premise that more people will buy them and NOT use them, than buy them and use them...

You might do better to just set that money aside and save it for repairs/maintenance along the way...

13. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

with the 6.0 I would get the warranty

14. Italian Thunder

Italian Thunder Well-Known Member

Ditto on setting the money aside yourself. I think a $2400 maintenance account would be plenty to get you through 2.5 years. But you never know.

15. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

If its a 6.0, Purchace the warranty!

16. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Buy the warranty. Dodge lost the lift pump ($800), trans OD switch ($500) 2 new front ends ($3,000) and it hasn't gone a 100K yet.
    Already towed the new GMC in for some hokey frickin' software upgrade 'cause it wouldn't run when it was cold. The engines will run 500K, but the trucks won't.

17. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

I believe the engine and emissions equipment will be warrantied for 120k miles. Aftertreatment and egr systems etc.

18. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

Two frt. ends, What happenend there?
    Dodge did have some lift pump problems, But there are better aftermarket ones for $200-300. That are much better and go the didtance. Yes, the factory ones are very expensive. My 02 lift pump went out at 80k and I installed one for $200. (2 hrs labor)
    I am not trying to start anything but the Cummins motors themselves are few to break down. Fords 6.0, My local dealership has a constant flow of blown headgaskets,heads,turbos and several electrical issues. Just ask Velocity Crew (05 diesel truck left them sit on 2 or 3 different endurance weekends and had to be towed)