1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could only own 1 rifle,...

Discussion in 'General' started by The H-man, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The problem with most AKs is that you have to throw a lot of lead to hope to hit your target. But they do throw a lot of cheap lead.

2. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Absof-inlutely on that one my friend :up: Trained to the point you can have trust they'll watch their sector. After all, you never know when you'll be attacked by a man with a banana [Monty Python reference]

3. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Inside 100yds it would be ok. Plus the cheap ammo means you can practice more.

4. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Serbu and a Nightforce

5. S2Landie

S2Landie Well-Known Member

I have to say the M24 I used in Iraq is spot on. Good stopping power in the 7.62 and combined with a good scope, floating barrel, and light trigger, I think one could teach a 13 year old beagle to hit targets with one of those things!

6. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

You meant 100 feet, right?

If I was with someone doing 3 round bursts (heaven forbid a longer burst) at something over 90 metres away, I'd have a little talk with 'em about fire discipline.

7. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Don't forget, you have to hit 'em in the head to kill them or they get right back up. :p

I like my Remington 700 HBV stainless barrel/synthetic stock in .223 with a Leupold scope. Wish they made it with 1 in 9 twist for the heavier bullets.

8. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

I spent some time with one of those did you ever have problems with the firing pin hanging up inside the bolt. In the first gulf war we had some problems with that. Made me miss the M14 hell of a rifle.

9. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

If I could own one rifle I'd buy my .308 back from McCurdy. You want to sell it back Lee? :D

10. GPgofast

GPgofast Well-Known Member

If I could only keep one it would be my SA M1A1 in .308. I'm not a great shot, but I can hit a dinner plate out to 300 yards with open sights without a bench. Ammo is cheap, and I'm fairly sure if I need to kill something, if I hit it square, it WILL die soon...

I also love my Colt M4-gery, but it sure isn't gonna do the job that a good .308 will.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  11. S2Landie

S2Landie Well-Known Member

nope, no issues. the barett .50 cal M107 on the other hand:down:

12. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Fuck all you punks.

After 20mm full auto,everything else is a spitball shooter.Max range of 7 miles.

Yes,full quals here toughguy.

13. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

That's certainly true of just about every one of them I've ever fired in the 7.62x39 caliber (several of them). Mostly, they shoot shotgun patterns instead of "groups"... well, to be honest, about 5 or 6 inches at a hundred yards seems to be average. On the other hand, I have fired a couple of the 5.45x39 ones that will do under 2" at 100 yards. I guess the smaller round doesn't make the barrel whip around as much or something. Who knows.

14. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... the subject of the thread...

I think if I could only have one rifle I'd go with something in a .22, but if we're specifically talking about a _defensive_ rifle, it'd be either .223 or .308. Probably .308.

15. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Werd! I believe it was the M4 back in the day (A belt fed, 20mm grenade launcher). One of God's gifts to the infantry. A Mk 19 mounted a-top a DPV is too much joy.

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

7 MILES??? CRAP!!!

17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Nobody mentions the Sig 550?

[​IMG]

18. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

OT

I'll raise you 125mm & 12 miles: M109A6

Now who's the punk? :D

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Pffft, I'll raise you about 100,000 some-odd horsepower toting a GUA-8A in 30mm.

[​IMG]

Don't make me get out the ABL.

20. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Aw heck! I was only going to escalate to the AC130 Spectre and now you going to laser my ass.:( :p