1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Changing Machine

Discussion in 'General' started by .cbr!, Feb 28, 2007.

1. .cbr!

.cbr! Well-Known Member

Who has a tire changing machine? What kind do you have? Has it given you any issues?

What is everyone's thoughts on having one handy?

2. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I got the Harbour Freight special.

I use it for dirtbikes only. I would recommend a
    air operated one for streetbike tires (tubeless)

3. Barry

Barry EAT ME simple enough

I have a Harbour Freight, I do street bike tires but i scratch the rims.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Stay away from Western MFG. It's a pita. Snap On's aren't all that great either, and they cost as much as a Coates. Get a Coates if you plan on changing alot of tires.

5. Echoracing24

Echoracing24 Well-Known Member

I have used the no mar tire changing machine. It works good, but takes a little elbow grease(it's not mechanical) I have seen a couple of guys using them at the track, it was hooked up to there draw tite trailer hitch.

6. Grashopr

Grashopr Well-Known Member

We are going with one of the NoMar setups. They've been highly praised by some local guys as being super easy on bike and car tires.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have the HF set-up with the NoMar mount/demount bar. Haven't had a chance to use it with the new bar but looking at the design it should work a lot better than the HF bar.

8. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Luke, I'm sending you a pm

9. Echoracing24

Echoracing24 Well-Known Member

10. -1badr6-

-1badr6- Well-Known Member

Atlas TC411, works awesome. Not a single complaint.

-Nick

11. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Coates 2020 manual works pretty good.... has little plastic covers to keep from scratching the rims but they are a pita to use. Around $900.

12. Racer 23

Racer 23 Well-Known Member

Coats RC100

The class standard.

Picked it up used for a little more than the no-mar.
    :beer:

13. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have the Harbor Freight and although its cheap, its a friggin POS and a pain to work with.

14. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I use the harbor freight system, minus the top arm/motorcycle attatchment. I just use 2 normal size tire levers and one large one with the slip on rim protectors. I've been using this setup for years, and it's simple and easy. I have one of these tire bars....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

It's fine for putting the tire on but I don't like using it to get the tire off. I have better luck just using the levers. I never scratch a wheel unless I'm in a hurry.

15. wolf44

wolf44 Well-Known Member

No Mar all the way. I use the hitch mount at the track. As far as using a lot of elbow grease, you really don't use much at all. Just have to make sure the bead is set into the releif valley of the tire, its lubed in the right spots and you just lean into the bar and walk it around the tire.
    Even girls can do it
    http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/GirlSolo.html

16. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Not to be a smart ass, but if you only have a couple to do here and there, a 2x4 board about 5 ft long (bead breaker), two 15.00 motorcycle tire spoons, and lube like 4O9 works wonders. Once you get the nack, you can do a tire swap in a matter of a couple minutes. (Thank you Quinton Mize for the tips)

Then, the only thing you really need is a wheel balancing stand.

Rich

17. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Something LIKE this ?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/bead-breaker/motorcycle-tire-bead-breaker.htm

18. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Nope.

Let all the air out of the tire. (ALL THE AIR!!!),
    lay the tire on its side like in the pic, and then butt the end of the board against the outter edge of the bead, so the end of the board is laying on the side wall of the tire tight against teh rim.

Then hop on the board, giving it a littel extra Samarai action as you land, and usually on the first try, the tire will come right off the bead. Then 2 minutes later with spoons, your tire is off.

If you spray some 4O9 around the bead first, it seems to work a little better.

ALSO, Your first couple times, have someone steady the tire for you.

LAST, Put about 2 layers of electrical tape on the spoons, and be delicate about how you jam them in, and pull them out. Its easy to mung up your rims with crappy spoons if your not paying attention.

I am not always patient with kind of stuff, but it really works. :up:

Rich

19. roadracer86

roadracer86 Always worth the pain.

:stupid: +1, for around a grand it's well worth the price. Check out Greg Smith Equipment in Indy. I'm also a distributor for them and personally use one of these myself.

20. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I have the Harbor Freight tire changer and use Honda Polish as lube. Works good 'nuff for me.