off topic: laptop keyboard replacement how to??

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A250 and I guess 2 years of dust and crud did in the keyboard. Anyone have any idea how to R&R the keyboard on this thing???
    The new keyboard is on order and should be here in a week or so. Oh, if I was stateside I'd bring it somewhere to get it done but that's not an option right now. Thanks!

:beer:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just turn my laptop upside down and thump it on the desk every once in a while (or set on it's side and hit the keys with compressed air).

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah, replacing the keyboard on a laptop is pretty easy. Don't have a list of directions for the Sony but they should be on the web somewhere.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I've been looking everwhere on the net with no luck...

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Try this

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmm, well it's really not that hard. On the dells you lay the screen all the way back flat, then gently pry up the plastic covering the hinges (check for screws holding it on of course) then there are a couple of screws holding the keyboard on under that. Just unplug the keyboard from the motherboard and put the new one in.

I think I still have a Vaio at the office, I'll take a look at it and see if there is anything odd about them but I doubt it.

7. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

My 2 year old thought it was funny when he picked off 50% of the keys off my 17"HP. Try showing up at customers houses to write estiamtes with the keys missing for the week that it took to get a new keyboard.

Once you get the cover plate off that covers the hinges and all the exposed screws on the bottom its pretty easy.

I would rate it a 4 of scale of dificulty, one being replacing a chain on a race bike and 10 over hauling the engine.

Just take your time.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

this site had the info I needed. Thanks!!