1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestar Supertech boot reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by Motomeister13, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

I am replacing my worn out SMX Plus boots, and saw that there was one better boot in the Alpinestar line.

Anyone have experience with the Supertechs? How does the inner boot system work out? Any better than the SMX?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

They are _way_ more protective (in the ankle in particular), but they fit alot differently. The Supertechs are alot tighter in the instep, so try them before you decide. FOr those who fit the boots well, I've never heard anyone complain about them.

I know you didn't ask this, but you might want to consider the Oxtar line. The TCS Evo RX is, IMHO, the equal safety-wise of the Supertech, they fit better (assuming your SMX's fit you well that is), and they're cheaper.

If you buy them, get one size smaller than your SMX size.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My new supertechs just arrived Monday. So far I like them but I haven't really used them, just walked around the house a bit. With the boot-in-boot design they are pretty heavy and a little bulky but I can't imagine a boot with better protection.
    I don't think they would be very comfortable to walk around in all day but maybe (hopefully) that will change as they break in.

4. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Dave, that is great info.

My SMX boots fit like a dream. BUT, they are worrn out, and I just happened to see another boot that looked better, and that why I asked.

WAAAYY more protective eh? Is the sizing the same from SMX to Supertech aside from the instep room? (toe to heal)

Thanks!

Rich

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I just got a pair myself. I had the other AStar boots this past year. They definitely seem more protective. One question though - how do you get the latch on the back to tighten the boot all the way? I tried all I could and still couldn't get the back of the boot to close up all the way.

(All right, I didn't try all that I could, but I did try). :D

6. (diet)DrThunder

Ya, WAAAAAY. THe SMX side ankle thingy really does nothing...just ask my left ankle :)

Ya, the sizing is the same apart form the slimmer fit of the Supertech.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Do you mean the plastic "wings"? I don't think they are supposed to close all the way. The rachet thing just tightens the boot around your calf.

I want to know how to get the toe sliders off. It says "lift here" and "pull" but they won't budge.

8. (diet)DrThunder

Pry them with a screwdriver at the front part the first time...they just snap on there.

9. smtMICH

smtMICH Well-Known Member

I have used the SuperTechs and SuperTechs only. I think they are awesome boots. Great protection. Walking around I thought they were somewhat stiff and uncomfortable. But the boots aren't made for walkin around, they are made for riding. On the bike I have no complaints at all. They might be a little hard to get tight at first (first few times i put them on), at least that was my problem. It just takes a little getting to know the boots to get them on right.

10. GTS600M

GTS600M Longest Member

I love mine, theyve been through 5 crashes and still manage to be in great shape. Only complaint is the metal on the sides scratches the hell out of the swingarm on my gsxr 750, down to the bare metal.

11. lawman800

lawman800 What did I do?

I gave up my SMX+ boots for Supertechs and have never looked back. The 2006 Supertech boots do not have that inside metal thing that scratches swingarms, btw. My Aprilia swingarm as well as my MV Agusta swingarm got really beat up by that so I dumped the SMX+ boots immediately.

I have 2 pairs of Supertechs, I love them more than any Sidi or Oxtar boot. Plus they look cooler than any other boot too. It takes a little more effort to get them on with the side-entry zipper but the mobility AND portection is hard to beat. Usually you end up compromising one for the other. The inside skeleton structure is more protective than the SMX+ which has only 1 layer of protection and it's only on the outside. I noticed a lot less lateral flex on the Supertech and it doesn't creak either when I walk like the SMX+. Lastly, the rounded toe of the Supertech looks a lot better than the pointed toes on the SMX+.

My zipper broke on one and AStars in Torrance replaced the assembly within 1 week. They even cleaned the boot up too!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  12. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

DDT needs his own column in Roadracing World for equipment testing. I swear the guy has tried everything. When in doubt.......... ask the Dr.

13. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

who's got a good deal on the boots, i'm looking to get some

14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

15. (diet)DrThunder

Where's JU when you need him? :D

Seriously, it's just that I'm picky. My Ebay feedback is over 100, and I swear about 70 of those are buy it, try it, don't like it for some (probably picky) reason, sell it at a loss. I've been riding for over 20 years...lots of time to try stuff in there :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I just bought mine for $251 shipped from Lithium Motorsports. It was a special they had on Astar gear. They advertised it on here in the "Other" section. I think the deal has ended but you may still want to check with them.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Just because they are way overpriced doesn't mean they offer better protection. :D I'm sure the Daytona's are great boots but I can't imagine anyone paying that much for them. If they charged 1/3 that price they would probaly sell 10x as many.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'd rather buy two sizes of the Supertech's and wear one over the other.

19. lawman800

lawman800 What did I do?

The specials were for Supertechs from 2005 and in either size 40 or 48, don't even think about getting regular sizes like 43/44/45. I looked.

Hey ummm... DDT, can you try out a pair of Puma race boots in black, size 10/44 and then not like them? Also, try the Spidi Penta gloves in Large, and the Spidi Hydroback in grey, size 40/50. Yeah... then I'll save you the trouble of ebaying and just buy them directly off you!

20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Mine are size 43. Is there a difference between 2005 and 2006? Mine are blue and black.