CB 350 questions

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by youngson, Jul 12, 2006.

1. youngson

youngson Active Member

I have a couple of questions for you CB 350 guys. I was just given a 72 CB 350 and would like to make a V1 bike of it. The guy that had it had bought it to learn to work on things. It was in good running order than he took it apart. It came home to me in six boxes. So since it is already a frame off project I would like to do it nice. My questions are what are my best options for forks and shocks? I see in the V1 rules that I will have to run a drum brake set up on the front even with the fact that mine came with a disc front. What is a good setup to look for? Also what needs to be done to the frame and swing arm? If I have time and money at a later date I will worry about motor upgrades then. Anything that you think I need to know would help.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Buff Harsh is your man

http://forums.13x.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=99232

3. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

cb350: back in the day

back in the 70's when we raced these [against hoards of rd 350's ]and all we had for tires were k81's on stock wheels the stock frame and swingarm was fine. it probably still is with a stock motor. the one i'm building has wider wheels [buchanan's] and race tires [avons] so i did some additional bracing and welding, just in case. new honda swingarm bushings are still available and there are bronze aftermarket ones available. i'm trying honda 450 forks and front drum[ but no one else is so i'm a little worried about it]

4. ad_fcsc

ad_fcsc Well-Known Member

Try the caferacer.net board as well. Alot of those guys race Vintage Hondas. I had John Branson do a front drum for mine and it worked great. Look for a T-500 or similar front wheel.

Cheers, A.D.

5. mollydog

mollydog Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with CB750 (79) forks with bearings from Pro-Flo. Springs and rear shocks from progressive are reasonably priced. Front brake you can find a T500 for a reasonable price. Stock swing arm seams to work okay. Reweld the joints on the frame.

6. WERA106v

WERA106v Well-Known Member

Keith,
    Welcome to the cult of the cb350. From your description you are building a 350gp bike not a v1. Check the rulebook. Email me if you are interested in the class. [email protected]

Steven Barber

7. racertex

racertex vintage dude

keith,

find yourself a set of 35mm forks (cerianis if you can). the cb500 or cb550 forks are both 35mm (see other post in bbs: rake/trail).

lots of available 35mm forks out there to choose from. you just need to find a set, and triple clamps as stock cb350 are 33mm. i use ceriani 35mm with cb750 triples and timkin tapered bearings.

as shocks go, get your self a set of progressive or works. buff harsh can hook you with the works shocks spec'd already for the cb350. you can reach him at the following link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~toddhenningracing/

i got a set of buff/toddhenning spec works shocks on my new cb350 and they are pretty (and light too).

as steven said, you are building a 350gp bike if you are gonna keep the motor stock (and run stock carbs). READ the rulebook! steven, knows a thing or two about being consistantly fast on the cb350 (congrats champ!).

welcome to the cb350 fold. we'll see you trackside.

peace,

tex

8. youngson

youngson Active Member

Thanks for the the help. I read the 350 GP but it says "Pre 1968 4 stroke singles and twins up to 350cc" My 350 is a 72 so I would think that leves me out. Let me know if I am wrong.

9. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

the notes say honda 350 twins [with the limitations listed] i think this means all years. i also have the work's shocks and they are beautiful and very light: i spoke with gil [the owner] and he has had some health issues, so you may want to grab a set [before he decides the stress of business and 50 employees isn't worth it anymore]

10. WERA106v

WERA106v Well-Known Member

Keith,
    Any cb350 twin is fine. Your main change is the front break to drum. Oh and don't forget the cam chain tensioner. I got mine from Chris Marshal.

Steven