1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Sat. endurance @ Barber

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, Sep 26, 2006.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

OK, as most of you know, i was the cause of the first red flag of the endurance race. I have gone over in my mind countless times trying to figure out exactly what happened and what caused the highside. Sat. night, my teammate informed me that the right side chain adjuster of the R6 i was riding had somehow run itself all the way in, allowing the rear wheel of the bike to get WAY out of alignment. When they brought the bike in, the right side of the axel was all the way at the front of the swingarm slot, and the left side was in the middle where it was supposed to be. So..........i felt at least a bit better that i did nothing wrong and this also explained why i was having problems with the rear sliding so early in the race as well as the bike not turning into the corners (especially the right handers) worth a crap. My highside was ENTERING T2, OFF throttle, and i just couldnt figure out why the ass of the bike came around on me for no apparent reason.

Now, with that said, i find out today, that apparently after the restart, there were a couple more crashes in the same corner as mine, one involving 4 bikes, with riders complaining that there was fluid on the track. What im wondering, WAS there fluid on the track that caused their crashes, was THAT fluid there as a result of MY crash, or was that fluid there BEFORE i crashed and possibly is what caused me to go down.

Im not trying to blame anyone or anything, i just know that learning from a crash is the best way to keep it from happening again, and i just cannot figure out what, if anything, I, as a rider did wrong to cause this. Anyone else ever highsided entering a turn OFF throttle like this? Does it sound as logical to you guys as it does to me that the front of the rear wheel basically being pointed to the left would have caused this? Think that its possible that there might have been fluid there when i went thru and thats what caused the rear to slide out as EASILY as it did?

Im up for thoughts and suggestions.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't you find that your axle/chain adjuster was loose and your wheel cocked sideways?

If there had been something there I'm pretty sure any number of non crashing riders would have noticed it, said something and we'd have shut things down until we fixed the situation.

Riders who fall down have a very common habit of feeling there was something on the track that caused the crash....

3. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be counting points or something?
    I could have been Vesrah leaking something. Every time I lapped them there was smoke coming off the back of the bike. Wait maybe it was the other way around.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmm, I do need to do the Endurance stuff don't I.... Oh well, back to work.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Crap, the laptop I need isn't on the network at the office - sorry but you'll have to wait one more day until I can get them to fire it back up for me.

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Take your time:( :p

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - yeah if you were in the running I'd have been bugged about it since Saturday huh?

8. ToddClark

yep, and i said that.

i understand that, and to be honest, i never thought there was something on the track. I didnt think that until today when i was told that several riders DID complain about something being on the track, altho the complaint wasnt voiced until the 4 rider crash in the same turn.

Honestly, i'm 99.999% positive that the reason i crashed was the wheel being "cocked", just curious if theres another possibility that could enter the equation.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense to me.

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

03-05 R6's are quite known for the chain adjusters coming loose.. I know mine are heavily loctited now after coming loose once..

-Nick

11. Chris P

Chris P Well-Known Member

The right side adjuster did'nt "just come loose"....the adjusting bolt and nut were run all the way in and locked down.

Todd...I'm sorry for not checking the bike over better before I sent you out.

12. slopoke114

slopoke114 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure the 4 bike pile up was caused by contact.

13. ToddClark

Hey, no blame being thrown here. Ive seen the adjusters get loose too and actually locking down tight just from vibration. I dont think it was anyones "fault", was just one of those things that happens. :up:

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Nesba did it! And pie.

15. Chris P

Chris P Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone either...I am just stating the facts. The adjuster had been set at that position since I changed the gearing for the STT trackday that I did at Barber...when I was preping the bike the night before I checked both the adjusters along with everthing else on the bike. I am 99.9% sure that the adjuster did not just "come loose".

I wasn't trying to accept blame for anything other than not checking the bike well enough before you were sent out.

16. ToddClark

Dammit, Chris, give me a friggin call at the house. Ive tried calling you a couple of times. 770 760 8938

17. surgin

surgin Well-Known Member

Todd, i was right behind you when you crashed. you had just passed me in thestart of turn 2. i thought you were about to pass the bike i was following(melissa?). all i saw was a quick highside,and i didn't know why. i did not think there was anything on the track.

18. ToddClark

cool. :up: i didnt think there was, really. Ive just never had this exact type of thing happen. Had a couple of highsides, but they were always on corner exit with me getting a bit greedy with the throttle. This was basically start to mid corner of T2, just maintaining throttle and the ass just let go for no "apparent" reason. With the axel being found in the position it was in after being brought back to the pits, im still quite sure THAT'S the reason for the crash. Thanks for the observation tho. Did it at least look cool? :crackup:

19. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

God knows, you need all the help you can get with that one. :D

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I came around while you were still in the gravel, looked like the bike was on top of you, and the track seemed fine.

I have had a chain adjuster break while riding, an FZR way back, and it was violent. All I was doing was going down the highway, well maybe wtih a little more throttle than necassary.

Glad you will be ok. It seems your getting brittle in your old age.