1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Leathers to buy???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by piper907, Sep 21, 2006.

1. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Im going to throw some cash at my first NEW race suit and was wondering what other people like. What are the best value "off the shelf" suits a guy can buy?
    Spidi?
    RS-Taichi?
    Vanson?
    Teknic?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

I love my Taichi's!

3. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

moto gp kanagroo(sp?) there trick

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i like the roo motogp's too. for the $, i havent seen any better.

5. piper907

hmmm....
    i just watched a lowside last month where a set of those kangaroo leathers desintegrated(sp?).
    like 3 good size holes all the way through.

6. EAndrews

EAndrews Well-Known Member

I just picked up a new set of SPIDI Viper Pros... my first suit from them but I got a great deal online.

You can't lose with the Astar, RS-Tiachi, or the SPIDI imho.

7. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

yeah i had a few low slides in my regular cow hide and they get ripped up( and my skin also) so we will see..

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

your questions opens up 20 more questions.

Do you fit off the rack leathers? What's your budget? How much you want to spend? Do you want fashion or crashability?

More info needed from you.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Moto GP cowhides seem good for the money... f you on a budget.

If you're going to drop a grand or more.. Vanson seems very durable as do RS Tiachi and Kushitani. I've seen these three brands take multiple crashes, get fixe and do it all over again.... the thing I have NEVER seen any of these three do is blow-out... Vansons are not as stylish as the other two but made in USA and tough as nails.

The other two listed in your post... I've seen several of those shred... and seams blow out.. etc. Not saying that they are not decent suits but just passing along what I've see during the past few season(s)

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

friend of mine had the arm ripped off his dainese. he called and asked wtf?
    he was asked if he got hurt. friend said no. dainese then said the leathers did their job.

with that said, i think most any brand of leathers will protect you, some better than others. what i think is most important, like helmets, does it fit?

try 'em on. get what fits.

11. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

Roo suits have alot of seams due to small hides & its the seams that are the weakest link in any suit+more seams+more chance of blow out.I've seen them protect ok-but they're junk after 1 fall.I currently have a spyke 4race & its the best I've had & crashes very well.Teknic was sec.,joe rocket a distant third.Maybe a very nice used suit would fit your budget better.I just won't skimp on protective gear.

12. bb810

bb810 Well-Known Member

My Dainese leathers have survived both a vicious high side and a low side. While I was low siding, another rider ran over me. The Dainese will still pass tech. Their great. Expensive, though.
    -Brett

13. cehowardrc51

cehowardrc51 Well-Known Member

IMO, the fit is important is almost as important as the brand.

My leathers fit me super skin tight. Like a second skin,and I have free movement of everything. In other words I can exercise in my suit. Squats, push ups, etc.

14. steven alexande

steven alexande Well-Known Member

Go with the best KOMODO, very nice suites, I've crashed 4 times in the suit and it's still raceable. Best customer service around. Less than $1000 and the guys that sell them, actually wear them to race.

15. BigWill 74

BigWill 74 Well-Known Member

teknic speedstar. Its kangroo also not many seams at all

16. Rhoades

Rhoades Well-Known Member

Dude OVO has great prices!!!!!

17. piper907

sounds like I should make sure it fits well :) thanks for the advise and input!

18. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

if you want a great suit with great protection give barnicle bill a call. he'll make you a custon suit that has an exceptional fit. i have been down several times and they have held up great. for the money you are going to spend on a good off the shelf suit you can get a custom suit and design it yourself.

19. piper907

Just bought a SPIDI JP3 with the Hydroback system....WOW, what a sweet suit. Fits great, full movement, AND I feel like superman!:up:

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I like the Kobe X-Pro from 888fastlap.com I've crashed tested them 4 times and they haven't worn through anywhere! Great suit for the money and if you are part of 888fastlap.com's racer program they are pretty inexpensive!!