Ford diesel vs. Chevy Diesel...better mileage??

Discussion in 'General' started by gawarrior, May 26, 2006.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Mafia In-forc-er

No kidding. My computer says 24 mpg...that thing couldn't get 24 mpg if you pushed it off of Stone Mountain.

Of course, mine is all stock :D

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

computers are notoriously off

3. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I have heard that before.:D :D

gixer1100, on my stock truck the computer is pretty much dead on, unless the calculator is lying. However it is not telling meafairy tale of 23+ mpg.;)

4. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I looked for new and used and found that you can generally buy a new LS CC 4x4 for about 34,500 or XLT CC 4x4 for about 36,000 which is the same price range you can buy a used 2004-2005 F -250 Lariat with 40+ thousand miles on it.
    So the question becomes do I want an average cloth interior with no miles or a pimped out leather interior etc with 40+ thousand miles for the same price.

I am leaning more and more towards buying new , and buying the Chevy based on it's 06 Motor / Allison tranny combo.

For anyone in the market for a vehicle , check out www.edmunds.com for info and invoice pricing.
    Thats what I have used to purchase my last couple vehicles and it has saved me alot of money.:up:

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  5. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

O6 GMC Duramax crewcab SLT. I have every option except the DVD player and payed just over $37,000.00. I have put 30,000 + miles on it since September and I avg 17-18 around town and my last trip to TN I avg. between 19.3-21.8 down and back, when it is warm. This winter it droped to 14-16 around town. I always use the reciept, trip meter, and calculator not relying on the trucks computer, which in mine is of by 1-2 mpg...to the low side! I haven't hauled much just my boat and sleds. Both wiegh about the same and I drop to 14-15 with hualing either one. I love the leather seats and GM interior. Plus it rode way better than the Ford or Dodge. I think with a 5th wheel towing capacity is 17,000 and at the ball it is 12,500. I will say I have had two issues, someone at the factory forgot to hook up the drain tubes for the sunroof and it leaked a little, easy fix and the kids radio in the back died taken care of by dealer. One word of caution...if you actually use it as a 4x4 (hunting, fishing, true back road situations) the front is super heavy and the transmission linkage, oil pain etc... is very exposed. I already broke the transmission linkage when a stick flipped up and hit it. Dealer fixed it under warranty and it has some saftey mode that allows you to shift into drive, n, and reverse so you can at least get home. I love mine and have reccomended the GMC to everyone who is looking and would buy another in a heart beat.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Drove Brown's Chevy 2500 Duramax from Gastonia to Savannah.didn't stop to get fuel intil we got off the Pooler exit.:up:

7. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

No kidding... the last trip back from Jennings I averaged a tad over 30 MPG... I made just one slight modification to an otherwise stock truck... I drove about 2 feet off Mongo's rear bumper... only broke out when the temp started climbing... :D :D :D

8. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Like I said I will do a pump - pump run.. will report it when I do, I know I am getting better mileage but need to confirm what the computer is saying...

It may adjust down some as I drive it more and I have two more settings to try..

9. Triple Nickel

Even if I only get 15mpg towing my trailer with a new diesel instead of 20mpg like some people experience, that would still be more than DOUBLE my current 6mpg.:D
    Going to Jennings from here,each way:

Now:
    250 miles / 6mpg = 41.6 gal ....... 41.6 gallons x $3.00 = $124.80 OUCH!

Diesel:
    250 miles / 15mpg = 16.6 gal ....... 16.6 gallons x $2.89 = $47.97
    OR
    250 miles / 18mpg = 13.88 gal ..... 13.88 galons x $2.89 = $40.11

My pipedream diesel:
    250miles / 20mpg = 12.5 gal ... 12.5 gallons x $2.89 = $36.12

10. gawarrior

gawarrior Well-Known Member

That is amazing the difference. It really puts a kink in the budget when you have to spend a couple hundred dollars a race weekend just in gas to and from the track!!!

11. Triple Nickel

Yep. Jennings is a flat haul that takes 4 hours from my house via truck towing my trailer.
    So the 500 mile round trip cost me about $250 in fuel.:Puke:

Im worried about the haul to Road Atlanta , through the hills.:eek:

12. gawarrior

YEah, as I come back from Jennings it is practically uphill the whole way back to the ATL area. I was lucky to get 6 mpg in my dodge:(

Barber is even worse for hills than going to RA. I am looking for a decent deal on a used chevy diesel as we speak.

13. gawarrior

Went today and drove a chevy...I liked it pretty good. Just not that many used ones around.

Ford isn't out of the question, but I have heard a couple things about the ford's that make me want to lean a bit towards the chevy.

14. Triple Nickel

Have you drove the 06 2500HD yet?

15. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

gas milage on my 03 D'max, 18mpg around town, 24mpg @70mph highway w/no trailer. Pulling my 36' 14,000 lb. toyhauler to the track, 12mpg @70mph. Ive got the least expensive programmer out there (Hypertech 50/70/90) with NO other mods done to the truck other than a free flow air filter.

Strick, those are actual mpg's. I double check my OBC on a regular basis and its VERY accurate.

One thing ive read and actually talked to a few people about with the Fords are the tranny problems that some of them have had. I was even filling up at the pump one day when this beautiful F350 pulled in to get fuel, we started talking about the trucks, his was 18 months old and Ford had already replaced his tranny 4 times. :eek: I had to question him again, i thought maybe it had just been repaired, but he said no, FULL REPLACEMENT 4 times in the 18 months he's owned it (all under warranty of course).

Thanks, but no thanks, i'll keep my Allison in my Chevy. IMO, its by far the toughest and best tranny put in a truck these days.

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah and Missi thinks this ------ is 6 inches.:Poke: :D

17. gawarrior

yeah, drove one yesterday at a dealership:)

18. gawarrior

That is the reason I was staying away from the Fords. I have heard that from another person too about the ford trannys.:down:

19. Rusty

Rusty WERA Code Monkey

Too bad the tail gates aren't as tough as the transmission... :D :D :D

I just took mine in to have the transmission service done on it. They guy said he couldn't believe I had as many miles on it as I do... but the fluid looked fantastic.

20. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

hey dammit, as long as SHE believe it, thats all that counts! :D