1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog question

Discussion in 'General' started by Crispy476, Dec 6, 2005.

#545 Keith Palmer

The "Slumber Ball" from Foster&Smith

My wife came with a bed-sleeping lab. I bought what I thought was the Cadillac of dogbeds to lure her (the dog) out of ours... the “Slumber ball”.
    [​IMG]
    She (the dog) overnights there maybe 10% of the time in the winter, 50% of the time in the summer. Train them early... I'm proof that you can't buy them off later!

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Re: Re: Dog question

yep, same with my mini wiener (the little german,lol). if he was anywhere but near us, he goes crazy, and he sleeps like a little log, and the gf finds hima great source of heat. he is a great little cuddler.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

+100

:up:

4. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

now i'm not saying the dog should never go in the crate... when we leave for the day, we put them in a rather large metal crate, and whenever we travel, they go in the same small "carry on" size crate that they grew up in before they graduated to the big metal crate...... so by all means, make sure they get used to being in a crate all day while you're gone, or during travel times, but at night, the bed is the only place to be....

5. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

When we're gone, the dogs have the run of the house (usually one on each recliner with their blanket). However, both have been crate trained when puppies.

:up:

6. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I've never crate trained a dog. Mine were just always trained to do it outside! They've, or should I say she now since Rocky passed, has always had the run of the house while I'm gone. I'm lucky in the fact that my family lives next door and down the street. They are great dog sitters and my Sasha loves her uncles!

7. ZebProctor1

sweet, mine love to tear up paper too much... of course that's back when they were 6 months old, that was the only time we tried letting them stay out and they had a sunday paper in about 2 million pieces when we got home.... I think they're old enough now to stay out, but we're just so used to putting them in their little doggie condo (to a mini, that 5x6 crate is probably HUGE).

8. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

We have a basset hound. She is crate trained. What is really cool about this is that she knows that when we go somewhere she gets in her house, when it's bed time she goes to her house. She is very good about her area, and when she knows that she is in the way, she goes in her crate. I highly recommed this..... It does not hurt them in anyway and they have their time and you have yours when you need it..:clap:

9. DDD570

DDD570 Guest

screw that, all you got is a dumb robots. my dogs raise hell, and it's a blast to watch!!!:clap: :beer:

10. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

my dog also has the run of the house when alone. when he travels he sits anywhere he wants in the truck (he has driven from GA to ca like that. and when we fly he goes in a carry on pet bag and sleeps under the seat in front of us (and yes he does this for the 20hrs it takes to get to our part of canada) but we do let him out in the baby change rooms and get him to pee on papers. he did start his training in a crate though when he was a pup. and now he is trained to pee/poop in his litter box (with papers)

11. ZebProctor1

yeah, it's neat to have a dog that likes to travel in a truck! Mine will either be in my lap, half way out the window, or in the back seat snoozing....

12. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

With all this talk about dogs, here's my little guy Max (Marty the rat terrier is Paul's buddy).

[​IMG]

:D

13. ZebProctor1

and mine.... these two photos seem to be the most popular on bbs's ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and all grown up....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bath time...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  14. CMatt026

CMatt026 Duct Tape Monster got me

How about a bean bag? Our bulldog loved his bean bag!

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

With the exception of Mercy The WanderUp Dog, all ours have been crate trained from the get-go. When we're here, the crate is open. They choose where to be and most nights, they prefer "their own place"...

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clyde was essentially crate trained too - his crate just happens to be yellow and 4 wheel drive :D

17. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Zeb, your dog is precious!

18. Road Rash parts

Road Rash parts Well-Known Member

i have a old twin mattress for a dog bed. That was the only thing my dane would fit on.

19. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Orvis makes a guaranteed chew proof bed in about 4-5 sizes. If you dog chews it, call them & they will send you a new one no charge, no shipping. You don't even have to send the old one back. Our German Pointer chewed a hole in one of them, and Orvis sent me a whole new bed & recommended covering the new one with the chewed cover for extra protection. They are guaranteed forever.

Crate training is great - it ensures you are always happy to see your dogs when you come home. But PLEASE remember to remove collars before putting him in the crate. You don't ever want to experience that loss, believe me.

20. ZebProctor1

thank you!:up: , she's got so much grey (salt) now, you'd think she was about to croak.... but in reality, she's only 1 1/2 years old....

and the youngest is her half sister so they look JUST alike

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005