Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The one thing I know after decades in aviation is that you can’t trust ANYTHING you see in the media. It’s possible that nothing you hear is true.

When I was somewhat early in my career I agreed to be interviewed by a tv news channel. JFK Jr had just crashed his Saratoga into the ocean and they wanted to ask some questions. I basically didn’t answer any of them because I didn’t know anything about it and I’m not interested in wild speculation. However, when we watched the broadcast, they chopped up the interview and got the more sensational answers they wanted. I have since been asked a few times and always declined. I actually ran from a news team that wanted to ask about Marcus Schrenker (look it up) when they still hadn’t found him. I knew him well and had even flown his airplane a few times.

R1Racer99, scottn, Gino230 and 3 others like this.
  3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

yeah I feel that. all this time in hotels kinda blows

Photo likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

We're living in the days of less and less personal accountability. No one wants to take responsibility for their screw ups, it's always someone/thing else's fault.

I had a former commercial airline pilot who was a coworker of mine tell me stories that this happens more than most folks would like to know lol. I hope the pilots didn't say they fell asleep because of global warming or racism.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/10/world...t-strays-off-course-after-pilots-fell-asleep/

brex likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Google Gell-Mann amnesia.

Not saying that you are susceptible, but so many folks with similar experiences, or who see other people interviewed about topics with which they are familiar, and note that they are rife with mistakes, tend to believe interviews on topics with which they are not familiar.

6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

ST - That'd be my biggest piece of advice to you. Do everything you can to keep your home life intact. Thats all that really matters at the end of the day.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

YouTube thread.

10. SteveThompson

I was joking. I retired at age 49. I assume they just buy a list of ATP’s and spam them with offers.

11. Dave Wolfe

That was for the OTHER ST :beer:

SteveThompson likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

Hahaha. Well… taking one of those bonuses will probably destroy your home life too. :D

13. Dave Wolfe

With $200k Id end up overseas, dead, with a hunter s thompson esque story to go with it

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Schrenker then traveled to the storage facility where he had earlier stored his motorcycle,[16][22] and then rode the vehicle to a KOA Campground in Quincy, Florida.[4][21] Without offering his name, he told the owners of the grounds that he was traveling cross country with friends, using cash to purchase a one-night tent site, firewood, and a six pack of Bud Light Lime.

Clearly he wasn't a BBS member.

tl1098 likes this.
  15. SteveThompson

I don’t think it’s THAT clear. :)

My favorite part of the story is that he reported a windshield failure in flight. After the airplane ran out of fuel and crashed the windshield was in place and in perfect condition.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

tl1098, 418, Rebel635 and 1 other person like this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you think taking a few selfies is the worst thing a pilot could be doing while the copilot or computer is flying the plane, I got some bad news for you.

BrentA and Photo like this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

OK...so now hey are saying the pilot seat moved causing the abrupt control column movement.

I think most...all?? 787 have electric seat adjustments...so was it pilot error or another issue?

I say they all need to add some Cessna seat rail stops. That will fix it.

Rising and Gino230 like this.
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm going with both pilot nodded off at the same time and leaned into the controls pitching the nose down.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Why don't flight decks have cameras powered by AI that will sound a loud alarm if sleep is detected? Cars have this.

418 likes this.