WSBK 2024: Rea replaces Toprak?!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 2, 2023.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe they are just better riders? Somebody is last in Moto 3 too. And I believe he is a man. :)

2. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

There are plenty sports where women outclass men, absolutely, but I believe superbikes and GP bikes require a certain amount of physicality to get the full potential out of them. The training and conditioning the top guys are doing is almost unreal, they’re all peak physical specimens. I wouldn’t agree that motorcycle racing in particular puts men/women on equal ground just because a machine is involved.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You don't think a woman can be as physical as Dani Pedrosa?

4. Quick6RR

absolutely they can, but comparatively, how likely is that to happen?

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How likely is what to happen? A woman with his riding skills or physical abilities? I would say the latter is quite likely. The former, not so much, but you will not find many men with that gift either.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Quick6RR

Well to compete with the likes of Dani this hypothetical female would need both, the same physical ability and skills. That's gonna be a hard find.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Maybe one of these female riders should be a UGA cheerleader first.

[​IMG]

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think that the skills is by far the biggest challenge.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Men, including puny little guys, have greater cardiovascular capability and denser bone structure than women. While motorized sports probably level the playing field somewhat, physical endurance and the ability to recover quickly from injury or training input are legitimate considerations.

SundaySocial likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The woman in this hypothetical exercise does not have to be as tiny as Pedrosa. He is a small even for a woman.

He also broke a collarbone in every other crash. Still racked up 30 MotoGP wins.

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I thought Maria Herrera had a ride in Moto2 for a bit. I thought she deserved to be there, but she got shuffled off to MotoE so her career can die.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Getting a big horse around Aintree isn't exactly easy, the same for the cross-country in a 3 day event.

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Women, on a general scale, simply have never and will never naturally have the same physical capability as men. That's not opinion, it's physiology. Are there women with the same physical capability as Pedrosa? Sure, but you're talking about the top .1%. Versus men, where a much larger percentage (let's say .5%) is actually capable of achieving that level of physical conditioning. And say maybe the top .1% have the skill. Now what are the chances a female falls into both top .1% versus a man needing to fall in the top .5% physically and top .1% skill? Men still hold a massive advantage in that regard.

On the flip side, women will probably get more opportunities per talent than men because well... they're women. That said, I'm all for it because if they are able to overcome the physical disadvantage and thrive anyway then they should be rewarded accordingly. And who doesn't love seeing a badass chick mixing it up with the boys?

Boman Forklift and Quick6RR like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We're not discussing marathon running or weightlifting here. Hell, we're not even discussing motocross. It's god damn roadracing. Something that people do at the highest level days after breaking an arm or shoulder. I would love to see the study that says a reasonably fit female athlete can't do what Jorge Lorenzo does 48 hours after breaking a collarbone.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Boman Forklift and Badger911GT3 like this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Or pedrosa while healthy and 100% fit.
    Talking about fitness here not talent because pedrosa is insanely talented.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, basically, post #105? :D

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Exactly! but it was funnier when I said it :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

It's still very high intensity. And the ability to operate at that intensity for that duration while maintaining the mental sharpness required is somewhere that men will inherently have an advantage, by being able to operate more more efficiently under that intensity.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  19. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

IMHO, the biggest factors that make men as a group more likely than women as a group to succeed at road racing is level of interest, and risk seeking.

Motofun352 likes this.
  20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Do you even believe that? That is pure opinion, maquerading as fact. Perhaps if you say it often enough and loud enough you will begin to believe it is true. Try typing in all caps and maybe you can convince somebody else it is true, too.