1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I have a Bell currently, I had a TLD D3 before that. Both are cool, the Bell broke in just fine, I liked the TLD slightly better. I'm about to pick up a D4 just to paint something new for the next season. Some of the colors are currently on sale for under $200 if you look around.

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Looking for some guidance on brakes.

My Siskiu has Tektro HD-M745 brakes with resin pads and rotors. I’ve always found them to be a bit lacking, with an engagement point deep into the lever travel. Yesterday I damn near ran over another rider on a downhill and started to realize the brakes just don’t have much power. What’s a solid but not crazy expensive brake upgrade. XTs?

Also, at what point do you decide to stop upgrading your current rig and move on to something else? I’ve thrown a decent amount of cash at the Siskiu to get it where I want, and am starting to think that I need to just move on to a different bike. Biggest complaint is the climbing performance is very, very lackluster.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What size brake discs are on the bike? It won't do anything for the lever travel and feel, but larger discs are the first step to more stopping power.
    The SLX brakes are a better cost/performance deal than XT since they are the same thing in a different color. The XT lever blade does have some texturing, and there is a "free stroke" adjustment on the XT, but it is fluff and messing with that isn't worth it. Other than that, same.
    You could get a set of Magura MT4s or an MT4/5 setup shipped from Germany for roughly the same as a set of SLX 2-piston if you want to go that route as well.
    A better brake set will help with the lever travel and feel, but to get the most benefit you're typically going to want to go larger discs - if your frame can accept a larger disc. Fork is usually not a problem.

As for what point do you stop upgrading? That is all on you. The bike market has swung back to buyer's market rather than seller's, and nearly everything is on sale these days. If you are considering a new bike, maybe don't even upgrade the brakes at all and start looking for what you want next. Just know that your bike won't sell for much on the used market.

If it were me, and I were already thinking new bike, I would do one of two things:
    1 - start the process of selling and buying something new without spending another dime on the bike.
    2 - buy the brakes I want long-term, and plan to use said brakes on next bike/bike build.

Option two is more work, it means you'd have to swap your existing brakes back onto the bike when you get it sold. If all internal routing, it can be a pain and you may need to buy a new hose when swapping to new bike, etc. Really not the best option unless you are into wrenching on your bike or have a favorite shop you support.

Senna likes this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Got the Crestline built up in single crown mode. Doesn't really pedal all that much worse than my Spire. Only a couple trail rides and one day at the bike park so far. Absolutely love it though. Have a Dorado on the way for dedicated DH days. Hoping to get over to Summit or Angel Fire this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cse, Sweatypants, Seiko and 4 others like this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Smith Mainline is currently the best full face helmet I've seen.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

on the topic of brakes:

i think i have glassed my rear brake. not intentionally, but it seems the caliper had been mounted too far inside when i got it, so the left pad always touched. realized squeaking then loss of bite on the trail (random use, i am not a braker)

tried sanding the disc, flipping the pads and aligning the caliper - nice and centered now - but the bite is still nothing compared to the front.

BRAKES
    TRP Slate T4 Calipers and Levers, Front and Rear

ROTORS
    TRP 180mm. Front and Rear

get new pads and rotors? call the manufacturer (intense) for warranty?

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Did you sand the pads or just the disc? Use some emery cloth on the pad. Since you sanded the disc you'll need to bed in again.
    If still no bueno, new pads. Not likely that you messed up the disc, but possible.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That thing is badass.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

yes, did that with 80 grit

went and bedded them, a bit better now . Will sand and bed again

brex likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

As always its depends on how much you want to spend, but I'm absolutely in love with the Hayes Dominions I put on the FSi. The feel, modulation, and consistency are so so good. I didn't even change the rotors.

I got the A2s since its on the XC bike. Not going to be doing super long downhill runs with it LOL

https://www.jensonusa.com/blog/youtube/hayes-dominion-A2

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/disc-brakes-products/hayes-dominion-a2-disc-brake-review

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

FYI if you want Dominions or Maguras, you can basically get them for half price thru both Bike24 and bike-discount.de. Both are legit, and for some reason Europe gets WAY better deals than we do. Shipping might be like $40, but no VAT. i've ordered a set of each and they'll cost you like $260 instead of $500. enjoy.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was looking at Polygon when I bought my Canyon. Couldn't find much info on them. Their bikes seem good.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

i still have a Magura 210 setup floating around somewhere

KrooklynSV likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My Siskiu has been a good bike, especially as a first mountain bike. My only real complaints are that it's heavy as shit and the suspension design is pretty basic. It tends to blow through its travel super quickly on tech climbs. My buddy is on an older Banshee and he's always amazed at how shitty my bike climbs lol.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

How much do you weigh?

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I will have a Banshee at some point. An LBS here is a Banshee dealer and man those frames are siiiick.

Senna likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

depends on how far off the pizza/milkshake wagon i've fallen at whatever given time. say, between 198 and 235 over the last 5 years. to be fair... one of those rims was a noodley ass Stans rim from their first gen bullshit when they were made out of limp spaghetti like 12 years ago, and the other was a Loaded rim where what i THINK happened, was the weld/pin joint exploded and then threw me into oblivion, but that one happened so fast that i honestly have no idea. it was mangled tho and i got real hurt haha. The Spank wheels and numerous DT EX471 or EX511 wheelsets i've had built up have never needed to even be trued, ever... DH, park, rocks and roots and all. So hey, been sticking with what works for almost a decade now and haven't had a problem.

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yep they're awesome. Take a look at Reeb cycles too. It's the founder of Oskar Blues brewing and they are steel and aluminum full suspension bikes welded up in Colorado.

Steeltoe likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Favorite tubeless jizz = Stans, Orange, Muc-Off or ?

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For me, orange seal endurance.

ekraft84 and Steeltoe like this.