Streaming tv....what to use

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Aug 22, 2023.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I think I am finally done with Direct TV.

Is roku still the best for going to internet TV? Any models to be sure to use or avoid?

any other tips?

thanks,

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We have a couple of the cheap ass one smaller than a pack of smokes and it does what it needs to do. The remote “frequency” overlaps with our fios box remote so is sometimes does some weird shit. Have to unplug it to keep it from turning on when I change the channel on the cable box.

I don’t particularly like it, the remote sucks but it does the deed.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

After researching all the major vendors I decided to go with YouTubeTV over Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. Saves me a significant amount over what I was paying for with cable and I've got probably 95% of the stuff I was watching on TV to begin with. FYI, I actually found Roku to be lower on the totem pole and from what I've found YouTubeTV seems to be the most popular choice for cable cutters.
    https://www.cabletv.com/blog/best-live-tv-streaming-services

With the money saved I also subscribed to YouTube Premium (Youtube without any ads)...interestingly enough, I actually watch way more content on YouTube than I do regular TV stations, so having the ads removed is game changing when you've been so used to the intrusiveness of them for the last however many years its been.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I guess that begs the question - you asking about hardware or which services to use?

Guessing based on Roku it's more hardware (although they do offer their own streaming too) and it's what I've got on all the TV's at the house, two built in (TCL TVs I think) and another plug in stick. They all work great.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Forever comes to mind.

AC1108 likes this.
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You'll get 101 answers as to the best TV options, but here's a pro tip for cutting short the cancel save conversation when you call to shut off the service :

You: I'm calling to cancel my subscription.

CSR: I'm certainly sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your DirecTV subscription. Can we offer you three free months of midget Thai ladyboy pr0nz to retain your patronage?

You: I'm going to prison

CSR: Let me get that cancellation processed for you, sir.

Works for any service.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Another Roku fan here, between the sticks and TCL TV's, it all works fine.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

What are your specific needs?

For free junk, I'd say either Roku or Google TV. Pluto TV is another good one.

The only use I have for TV is watching Braves maor league baseball. To get Sports South, it requires a paid Subscription. I use Direct TV Stream and watch most games on my PC via browser or phone/tablet via app. I share this sub with a friend who had the same need and we split the bill.

For locals, put up an antenna.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Take the 3 months...then cancel. :D

auminer and BigBird like this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive had Rokus for a long time. They get the job done and seem solid.

My only complaint is I got the top tier model recently partially for its feature where you push a button on the unit and the remote is supposed to make a noise of some sort. As best I can tell that feature has never actually worked.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

hardware.
    I think a couple of my TVs will be ok.

But my mother who is NOT tech savy in any way will need a single remote, maybe 2 tops, to access the system and get to her shows.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They all use the same remote so once she learns it she should be set. Only issue I've had is grabbing the wrong one for the bedroom tv and since it's radio as well as infrared it'll turn on the living room one :D

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Roku and YouTube tv has worked well for us before that it's been 20 years of DirecTV and dish Network

14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i have an android box running kodi and cybertv. i havent had cable in about 12years...i watch every show i want, every movie i want and once you buy the box the rest is free. so a 1x payment for the box and boom...i have everything from everywhere. its not always reliable though, some days it has issues or needs to be updated - so i also have a netflix account for those days. my only bill is that and my internet.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Roku "sticks" are light years better than Firesticks. The remotes are simple and they make ones that will control the TV as well. Simple to setup and use.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mine is a roku. My tv has apps by downloading them sucks and is more effort than it’s worth.
    I’m behind the times and only started using the Hulus and other shit a few months back mostly to watch espn+ and letterkenny.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So, which ones of these work with my 1974 Curtis Mathes console TV, liquor cabinet, and corn shucker?

I would have replaced it, but those three husky boys that delivered my 40" 1994 Sony Trinitron couldn't budge that Curtis Mathes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yes, fuck DirecTV

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with or without Pong UHF adapter? :D
    do you have intellivision?
    how about an Odyssey?

Boman Forklift and auminer like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When I was moving a few decades back I sold my Sony Wega 40” (for more than I paid for it) because I didn’t want to try and move it.

@HPPT a solid F you. ;-)

auminer likes this.