1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ain't that some shit.

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. :crackup:

Nah the lighting is misleading. IRL it has more of a gray look to it.

3. fastfreddie

Recently saw an interesting vid showing .308 vs 7.62 vs 5.56 against capped 5 gal water jugs.

Unfortunately, when shooting the .308, either the jug's cap wasn't secured as well or the impact pressure simply blew it off before the round could register its legitimate "tested" effect.
    The 77gr, 5.56 was an awesome eye opener.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I asked because Ruger Sfar comes in 7.62 Nato and 7.62/win 308. Different model numbers for each of them which seemed odd to me.
    Glad I asked because they were sold out of the 7.62/308 but the 7.62 nato which I almost bought, was available.

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Dude, 77 gr is the shit. That's almost exclusively what I run through my 18" AR.

6. redtailracing

Really? I can't believe a company would bother making a 7.62 NATO only version. Doesn't make sense. I'd research further.

7. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

"dang you rich"

8. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

GG, I am also right handed and left eye dominant. As far as the left hand (off hand) being better when shooting single handed, I am the same way. If you time your shots you will likely find that you shoot slower on that side and therefore give yourself more time to focus on the fundamentals. It surprised me at first but I do not believe it is attributed to Fred's left hand turn hypothesis despite how elaborately well thought out it was.

Gorilla George and Triple X like this.
  9. That makes a lot of sense.

For some reason it took me a lot of time to develop the muscle memory (or ability) to immediately go back to “the wall” after firing with my left hand.

IMO, that is one of the most important fundamentals to work on. I see it when other people are at the range, they tend to “admire their work” after firing a shot.

It is a natural reaction to pull the trigger and keep the trigger all the way back, then let the gun “settle”, then reset the trigger and fire the next shot.

I think it is super important to immediately reset the trigger after the shot fires (during the recoil) so once you regain your sight picture you can immediately fire again.

It should almost be one motion. Like the trigger never stops/stays fully back. Pull it back, the shot fires, reset…all in one motion.

For some reason it took me a long time to get that down pat with my left hand.

But like I said, my left arm has had a lot of work. I’ve had 2 surgeries on my wrist because after the first one, I bent the plate in a crash. A year later, when I finally went to my ortho guy after multiple DNFs because I couldn’t physically work the clutch after 6-7 laps, I found out the grip strength in my left hand was down to only 26lbs (compared to 176lbs in my right).

That bent plate had been slowly but surely severing the tendons and muscles in my wrist.

Then I’ve also had carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel, and ulnar nerve release surgeries, plus the reconstruction on my elbow.

There’s been a lot of nerve damage throughout my left arm. I am sure that doesn’t help anything.

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If you are looking at family firearms I went in store and bought it but it's a 7.62/308 even though it looks like it's marked 762 only online. I would email them to confirm because it's shooting 308 really well and I've just ordered a bunch of 308 ammo

I just ran to the safe to check mine because I was like no way. Luckily it's 308/7.62. I was shooting 308 all weekend with no issues except the last one. I had a failure to extract with some old Shitty ammo or could be the h3 buffer? I put the stock buffer back in and am going to test

BC likes this.
  11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You are correct. They had their listings screwed up.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You are correct. It's just the way they had it listed. Do you know if you bought the 5610?

13. redtailracing

:crackup: Naw, if I have the 18" AR out, it's most likely because I'm doing more distance/precision oriented shooting. So I'm probably not putting more than a 100 rounds downrange through that gun that day. On the rare occasion that I choose that gun for closer range stuff just for shits and gigs, then I'll run M855 through it. And IMI Razorcore 77gr performs REALLY well at its pricepoint. If it's not too windy and I'm having a decent day, I can string together multiple .8-1 MOA 5 shot groups from 600-800 yards with it. If I'm really going for the best performance I can get out of that gun, I may run Hornady Superformance or Black Hills Mk.262 (when I can fucking find it:mad:) but even then, the biggest difference is just how much closer I can stay to that .8 MOA range at distance. I think the tightest group I ever shot past 500 yards was a .78 at 600 with the mk262. And I think I've gotten like a .82 out of the IMI and even on windy days, can comfortably hang around the .9-1.1 range with the IMI. It's good shit.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

checking

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Good to know bout the razorcore. Buddy gave me like a hundred round their OTM 77 grain but i have yet to test it. Im a big fan of IMI as its served me well. That same buddy got the FN DMR but we have yet to test it. Id love to get an 18" eventually but unsure of which or maybe franken build.
    THose moa's are impressive though

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

17. redtailracing

Ok I don't like you right now... I went to midway to see what their price was currently on razorcore as that's where I get a lot of my 77gr stuff and I noticed "10% off select upper" at the top. So naturally I clicked it. They have the Knight's 14.5 upper in stock for 10% right now... makes it $1885. I really don't need to buy that right now... fuck.

18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

youre welcome hahaha

19. fastfreddie

Is there a difference between .308 and 7.62NATO? Technically...pressures, as was previously mentioned.
    Can you run either in either caliber configured rifle?

Real world? My SuperSASS is 7.62. I shoot FGMM 168gr .308 through it with phenomenal precision, sub-caliber MOA if I do my part. No issues other than finding ammo by the case.

My Rem 700 is .308 and I shoot whatever, mostly surplus NATO cuz it was available a case at a time. It's a tack driver with 7.62 M80 and, as far as using precision .308 ammo, I don't really pay attention. It hasn't disappointed me with whatever it eats.
    Having said that, it now has a new barrel for which I will decidedly get the dope on M80 and FGMM, mounting a new scope, too.

Bottom line for me, nothing I've noticed enough to make me want to delve deep into the question. My results don't reflect a true comparison as the surplus is 147gr vs the heavier .308s I choose to use for precision. Trajectories and velocities are different but doesn't seem to effect accuracies between the cartridges. Like I said, I don't really pay attention.

FWIW, M80 isn't match ammo, yet the Rem does well with it. Surplus "precision grade"ammo (heavier bullets) is harder to find by the case. I don't look too hard. <shrug>
    I only shoot FGMM through the SuperSASS.

20. fastfreddie

Yeah, that was most definitely thesis level material. :crackup:

Saiyan66 likes this.