1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk cruisers....

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, May 24, 2023.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I sold my '13 HD Night Rod a year ago....I need to replace it. The only street bike I have is the Tuono.

I was looking at the Indian FTR but it's just not practical and does nothing that my Tuono doesn't do. The FTR is unique and I like that though.

When I bought the '13 HD 10 yrs ago, it was a toss up for a Diavel. So now the Diavel is what I'm eyeing again.

2 other bikes I'm interested in is an Indian Springfield Darkhorse or HD Road King Special.

So Diavel, Indian Springfield DH, HD Road King Special.

I don't want a full front-faired bike like the Challenger, Road Glide and defintely not a Street Glide. I'm not doing any cross country or several hundred mile highway trips..I wanna be able to see the front wheel and the pavement beneath me.

Anybody have experience with those 3 bikes and are there any other bikes I should consider?

2. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

As I've gotten older, fatter, more brittle, I'm currently shopping Yamaha Stratoliners. Probably would've bought one in the last couple weeks but accidently grabbed a clean 08 weestrom. The wife says get both so I'm still shopping. Can't justify big $$ because I'm still a cheap ass and the 'liners can be had under $5k. If I hate it I'll move it along!

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

4. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

The Diavel is the pasta version of a hamburger Fat Bob.
    A muscle cruiser isn't really my style but man, I liked riding it! Even a Softail sounds like the recipe you are looking for. Just finished a lot of work on this for a buddy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How about the V-Max that the Diavel dethroned?

There's always Buell, too. Like a '97-'98 S1 Lightning? Quick bike off the line.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

7. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20230125-122941.png image-4.jpg
    This is likley " low buck" to most of ya, but to me it's just about perfect.

Does everything and looks like few others.
    I have a set of whitewalls, full beach bars and V&H longshots ready to put on her.

I'm simple...but this has always been one of my dream bikes, almost bought this exact color in 98...but never got around to it.
    Picked this up couple yrs ago for $2200.00 75 yr old Orig owner and 17k on the ODO.
    It's a 88 Honda 750 Shadow A.C.E.

Couldn't really ask anything more of it .. power is to me a totally irrelevant consideration in a cruiser......for it's purpose it's capable if anything and could go cross country in 5 minutes.

There " Dirt Cheap," dead reliable and stylish as anything.....
    The only other bike I'd ever consider would be a Beach cruiser Harley....but in all honesty and "cliche" this bike does the same thing...only difference really is perceived status and average 15k cheaper than a used Harley.

I like all bikes....but this clicks all the tickets and @1998 is the only year of this color combo, they also had Crimson Red and Cream 2 tone which is equally awesome.

There single pin cranks, the sound is identical to a Harley Davidson as well, so similar Harley sued them over it
    Both are great machines, but this a cheap step into the water......with all the style.

Mick6R likes this.
  8. gapman789

Although I mentioned the Diavel, I'm probably leaning more towards a 'slower' cruiser like the Indian SFDH or Road King. I want a slower ride, sit back and enjoy the scenery type of a ride. The Tuono is balls out crazy and i have a hard time riding it within the legal limits.

I've ruled out a metric cruiser....

I like the way the short lived FXDR looks but all reviews say it's an awful riding experience, but it may fit me perfect.

A HD Breakout or new Fatboy gets my attention too....Im not a fan of chrome. Id rather see the breakout or fatboy in a 'murdered' out livery.

fxdr.jpg fxdr 1.jpg fxdr 2.jpg breakout.jpg fatboy.jpg fatboy 1.jpg

9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Even ruling out the R18?

[​IMG]

KCFirebolt likes this.
  10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I have a ‘21 1290 Superduke and an ‘06 H-D Roadking, and I enjoy them both immensely , albeit for different riding styles.

I picked up the mint condition RK for $5900 during the pandemic. If you don’t have to have the hot item at the moment the latest greatest, you can have very nice toys on the cheap.

11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Neato. I've been toying with getting a Shadow Aero for the same reasons: a bike to ride around on the street without the sport bike compromises. It also has a decent looking back seat for my wife to come along for the ride, Honda reliability, acceptable styling, and enough power to be comfortable on the interstate. Also, the Aero has a drive shaft for even less maintenance.

We had a TU 250 years ago that was fun around town, but no good on the interstate.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't see this on their website, but I like. 2024 model?
    And yeah, murdered...without that taillight/license assembly. Maybe even toy with the idea of a frame-mounted 1/4 fairing that flows with the lines to the tail.
    (Fack. Listen to me getting excited about old man bikes). :crackup:

gapman789 likes this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from. In the last 3 years I've bought a Road King and the Stratoliner. Done everything I can to convince myself that I like a cruiser and I just can't do it. When I sell the Strat, more than likely I'll get something in the range of a 2010 R1200R. That's about as old man as I can get and I'm almost 63:D

14. gapman789

The HD FXDR was only here for 2 yrs, 2019 and 2020. I would definitely need to test ride one and it's not like they're sitting at the dealers.

15. gapman789

Now that HD discontinued the RK, used RK prices are thru the roof...Rumor is they're coming back with an updated version next year....Kinda like how they skipped 2014 for the RG and brought it back in 2015.

16. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Having had a Victory Cross Country Tour since 2013, I'd lean towards the Indian. The orphaned Victory has proven to be very reliable over the last 10 years.

17. gapman789

Damn, just watched a good vid of it...Seems like a helluva bike and only $12k new.
    I do like the mid-controls over forward controls.

18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

All I got is ... Yeah nuthin. I changed the bars on my victory 'cause my arms are short but Im still lusting over feet in the middle vs feet forward bikes like mine. I need to put on a few hundred miles and see if my bike grows on me.

19. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20230525-062508.png
    Another example of the Honda, I bought this 6 yrs ago for $2200.00 w 12k in the ODO ...I sold it when the wifes cancer came on...

Guy I sold it to rode it all the way to Argentina..where he still rides it.

Then there's this one I saw..that made me just love the bike...
    Screenshot_20230525-065642.png
    ....Great versatile bikes, plenty of power for cruising...as far as I'm concerned.."I don't fall into the big displacement camp" that's not my thing...but it's all good for those whom do ...I just can't stand big bikes....I prefer nimble.

I can cruise the Honda 6 ways till next Sunday at 80 mph all day.

For me that's all I Need....a cruiser takes on a different mindset....but this bikes 200 lbs lighter than most big cruisers...it's even lighter than a Africa Twin..it handles great.

Mick6R likes this.
  20. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

there ya go welcome:)

Attached Files: