1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Sled Driver

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, May 23, 2023.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

SR-71 pilot Brian Shul passed away over the weekend, aged 75. He is famous for his book Sled Driver, where he recounts his experiences in the jet.

[​IMG]

Jay305, jg791, borislav and 11 others like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Love that story.

Yzasserina, Senna, CBRRRRR999 and 3 others like this.
  3. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Epic bit of writing that I have read many times, and just had to read again here because of its awesomeness.

gixer1100, Senna and cbush like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Knew the story a few lines in, still re-read the whole thing.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

same lol

Yzasserina and cbush like this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RIP sir… awesome story.

7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

That man fought through the odds and lived a life few ever have. Godspeed Sir.

SundaySocial likes this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I posted this in the picture thread last night, seems appropriate here. RIP

[​IMG]

Senna likes this.
  10. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Got to watch his presentation at an Air Traffic Controller conference, great speaker/story teller. Had a chance to talk with him later that evening and get him to sign his book. Very witty and down to earth. Hoped I’d run across him again someday to talk. RIP Aviator.

cbush likes this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Are you a controller? My dad, uncle and grandpa all were lol.

12. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

RIP, Sir... Many thanks for the brave service to our country. :flag:

His book looks quite popular, must be out of print as a used copy on Amazon is $1400.00, would love to read but.......

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

No personal experiences, but seems like a truly awesome person... Amazing he lived as long as he did with what he went through, let alone make a life of accomplishments few could dream of out of it.

15. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I had a great Uncle whom was a aerospace engineer and draftsman whom was subcontracted some design work on that plane. Pilots a/c system if I recall correctly.

In 1981 he drove us either to Edwards or Pt.Magu in Calif and we parked & Sat with a few other of his friends /coworkers and watched a nighttime take off of the SR71...

It was pretty awesome. Orange Thunder is all I can remember... A moment not forgotten .

I miss that man, learned so much from him. He had a way of teaching things that came so easily.

Sadly lost him to a love lost & suicide..but some of his design work is still in use to this day over 50 years later.

The absolute smartest, most likeable man I've ever known. Takes a special kind of person to be a civilian in Los Alamos, and be taken under the wing of scientists and engineers...that's who he was, and men like him are who designed that aircraft over 60 years ago.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    ungwaha and Senna like this.
  16. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

Having driven across Nebraska many times I wholeheartedly agree to this

Sabre699 and Banditracer like this.
  17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

bullockcm and CharlieY like this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nebraska is the one state I’ve driven through where I could consider AI car control a good thing. :D

Ducman851 likes this.
  19. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

His experience with the crash, and recovery, would have put everyone but a VERY determined man off of their plans.

20. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The Semi's and box trucks, littered the ditches (showing off their under carriages) the last time we went (May 2019) across.